2018 Grape Season Underway

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Question for all you co-inoculation gurus: Other than WHEN the slurry of MLB and Acti-ML is introduced to the wine, is there anything else that is different?

I'm trying to mentally prep for my winemaking this year (only 10 days left to cogitate on it). So, I'm going to run through my supplies one more time and the thought struck me that the nutrient demands might be different with a co-inoculation than with a AF followed by a MLF?

I don’t do anything differently Jim, it’s just a matter of when it gets added to the wine. Do pay more attention to nutrient needs of both your yeast and mlb, since they’re in there together. I follow the normal yeast nutrient schedule by adding half at end of lag phase, half around 1/3 sugar depletion. For mlb nutrients, I add 2/3 immediately after inoculating the must, and the last 1/3 after pressing the grapes.

I don’t do anything differently Jim, it’s just a matter of when it gets added to the wine. Do pay more attention to nutrient needs of both your yeast and mlb, since they’re in there together. I follow the normal yeast nutrient schedule by adding half at end of lag phase, half around 1/3 sugar depletion. For mlb nutrients, I add 2/3 immediately after inoculating the must, and the last 1/3 after pressing the grapes.

For yeast, the MoreWine guides I follow are: Fermaid-O when the cap is formed, then Fermaid-K at 1/3 the way thru.

For ML, Acti-ML followed by Opti-Malo after about 15 min.

Am I doing it right?

For yeast, the MoreWine guides I follow are: Fermaid-O when the cap is formed, then Fermaid-K at 1/3 the way thru.

For ML, Acti-ML followed by Opti-Malo after about 15 min.

Am I doing it right?

For MLB, you’re right on, one pack MLB (VP-41 or other), one 50g pack ACTI-ML, mixed together in 250 ml chlorine free water (super important!!!!!!, use distilled to be certain) dose first shot of Opti-Malo after inoculation, second dose after press.

Yeast nutrient preferences are a bit more flexible, but I’d use the Fermaid K first, followed by the Fermaid O at 1/3 depletion. I still use DAP in my first nutrient application, as it hits the yeast hard and fast, helps me get ferm temps up into the 80’s. Just use the old sniffer to make sure it’s H2S free.

Question for all you co-inoculation gurus: Other than WHEN the slurry of MLB and Acti-ML is introduced to the wine, is there anything else that is different?

I'm trying to mentally prep for my winemaking this year (only 10 days left to cogitate on it). So, I'm going to run through my supplies one more time and the thought struck me that the nutrient demands might be different with a co-inoculation than with a AF followed by a MLF?

I've only done it once; but when I did, the only difference was the timing.

There is another winery auction this Saturday. This time one of the lots is 90 cases of bottles. It is only 1.5 hrs away so picking up is no issue. What would you think would be the right price per case? The cheapest I can find is $10.50. I was thinking $7.00. They also have a lot labeled lab equipment. The picture sucks and there is no other description and I don't know if it's one lot or they will be sold individually. I emailed them but the description of the bottles was "push up" so I'm not sure how much they know about what they are selling.

There is another winery auction this Saturday. This time one of the lots is 90 cases of bottles. It is only 1.5 hrs away so picking up is no issue. What would you think would be the right price per case? The cheapest I can find is $10.50. I was thinking $7.00. They also have a lot labeled lab equipment. The picture sucks and there is no other description and I don't know if it's one lot or they will be sold individually. I emailed them but the description of the bottles was "push up" so I'm not sure how much they know about what they are selling.

Wondering if 'push up' = 'punt'

Often these online auctions set a specific date and time to view the items in person beforehand

Unlike the last one this is onsite bidding only. Still don't want to make a 1.5 hr trip if there is nothing I want.
That would help. Also of interest would be if they are the 'green' bottles, or the 'brown'.

They are antique green which is somewhat brown. I think I'm going to go. 3 hours plus the auction time waisted if I don't get them. The lab equipment is glassware might try for that as well it bids before the bottles.

Below is a line from a Washington Winemakers email. There are 55 people on the list picking up grapes and juice. Pretty good sized group I would say.

"Our order this year consists of 57 boxes of white grapes and 750 boxes of red grapes. There are also 109 pails of juice."

When is your pick up day?

Below is a line from a Washington Winemakers email. There are 55 people on the list picking up grapes and juice. Pretty good sized group I would say.

"Our order this year consists of 57 boxes of white grapes and 750 boxes of red grapes. There are also 109 pails of juice."

I'm looking forward to it.

Fall update: Crushed last saturday, pitched on sunday, solid ferments all week and today the caps are starting to fall. RC212 gave zero off odors this time around. Will do hydrometer readings in the am. Thinking about not pressing these batches yet, but siphoning off the free run and then put juice buckets on the unpressed grapes. When the juice buckets are finished fermenting siphon off the free run and then press the grapes.

brunello/sangio skins - two buckets alicante

petite sirah skins - two buckets of nebiollo

Will probably change my mind 12 times by tomorrow.

I think I'll copy your idea. If I have skins from the following grapes what juice(s) would you recommend? Probably just want one more batch. My initial thought was a Merlot or Barbera.
4 ea Premium Syrah and OVZ
4 Tempranillo
3 Petite Sirah
3 Tourigo
3 Sauv Blanc

I think I'll copy your idea. If I have skins from the following grapes what juice(s) would you recommend? Probably just want one more batch. My initial thought was a Merlot or Barbera.
4 ea Premium Syrah and OVZ
4 Tempranillo
3 Petite Sirah
3 Tourigo
3 Sauv Blanc

Very nice line-up.

You'd be fine with either merlot or barbera, both are blended regularly with most of those grapes. I had barbera buckets last year that came out pretty good.

I’d think you could add those skins to just about any juice bucket and it would work. Except the Sauv Blanc skins. And Tourigo- whatever the hell that is!
I view adding active skins to a juice pail in a general kinda way- not so much varietal specific. Getting the active yeast and active mlb- huge plus’s. And helping with the body/mouthfeel/color from the fermented skins — similar to what’s said about oaking the primary. Aiding and improving the juice’s existing characteristic, not so much adding new ones.
At least once they’re fermented and pressed. Skipping pressing may add a touch from the initial grapes. And so would tossing in a few lbs of fresh grapes too. Thoughts? The skins ive used have always been similar to the juice— tough to tell
*one of these days I want to do a whole bunch of different experiments with control batches. Sometimes Only way to know things for sure.

Last edited:
So am I, just wish I didn't have an end of the season marina party (or for me an end of boating party) and a birthday party at a brewery the same day. Crush will have to wait until Sunday.

I have a half marathon on Sunday, so the crush party at Chez Boatboy will be somewhat subdued. :i

Back