2018 Grape Season Underway

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ready don't get why sourcing is so secretive. Zin was from Lamanuzzi and Pantaleo Vineyards, Delano CA and the Syrah Papagni Vineyards Madera CA. Apparently we will find out when we get the grapes.

me either, but Procacci is old school. Pinto's is upfront with it all.

This is the best AVA map I was able to find. The center of the valley is Lodi and the grouping I think is what they call Central Valley. Madera should show up pretty clearly and Cucamonga is 105 east of Disney. There is no mileage scale but they are a good distance away from Lodi.

Okay, I was actually confused by your original comment, and I really did not mean to take us to a geography lesson. I now realize that the important thing that you were trying to convey was that the grapes (from Madera) were from a place far south of Lodi. I didn't understand before, but I understand now.

Just for your info, the "Central Valley" is a large, large area. it spans from Redding in the North to Bakersfield in the south, a distance of ~450 miles. This is the area called "Inland Valleys" on your map. The northern part is called the Sacramento Valley, and southern part is called the San Joaquin Valley (obviously, after the rivers that drain them). Most of the grapes are grown in the San Joaquin Valley. Grapes grown anywhere in that region (either valley) are called "Central Valley grapes," and a lot of jug wine grapes are grown there. It accounts for more than 1/2 of all California wine.

Last edited:
Okay, I was actually confused by your original comment, and I really did not mean to take us to a geography lesson. I now realize that the important thing that you were trying to convey was that the gaps (from Madera) were from a place far south of Lodi. I didn't understand before, but I understand now.

Just for your info, the "Central Valley" is a large, large area. it spans from Redding in the North to Bakersfield in the south, a distance of ~450 miles. This is the area called "Inland Valleys" on your map. The northern part is called the Sacramento Valley, and southern part is called the San Joaquin Valley (obviously, after the rivers that drain them). Most of the grapes are grown in the San Joaquin Valley. Grapes grown anywhere in that region (either valley) are called "Central Valley grapes," and a lot of jug wine grapes are grown there. It accounts for more than 1/2 of all California wine.

Thanks Paul I needed the geography lesson to find the map. Before that I had no idea what was where. So that was a good thing. I have one posted on my desk overhead now.

Wouldn't Madera (halfway between Fresno and Merced) be considered to be very much in the Central Valley? :?

LOL-I see you ended up with a geography lesson, and yep-it's definitely the heart of the Central Valley. I live in Sacramento which is 2+ hours north but was just in Madera a few weeks ago. Lots and lots of flat land vines. HOT. No "delta breeze". And earlier this year, July and August were abnormally hot, so not surprising the harvest is coming in early.

Here in the north, it has cooled considerably the last few weeks which will likely slow down the harvest. I was worried I'd miss it being away in Alaska but I'm home and the pick is scheduled for next weekend. Getting 300 pounds of foothill Syrah first thing this Saturday and 300 pounds of Primitivo later in the morning, so this will be a busy weekend.

But interestingly, the Cabernet we are getting from Clarksburg ( along the river and 20 minutes from home) is not even close to ripe with Brix of 19-21 and they are projecting harvest mid to late October. We got Cabernet from the same place last year on October 31! So even within what would be considered central valley, there is considerable difference in the local conditions. Clarksburg cools off fast at night due to the marine cooling that we are blessed with, and so even though its smack dab in the middle of the valley, the grapes take awhile to get fully ripe.

So the point is that the "Central Valley" can mean almost anything. It's an area the size of New York to North Carolina in length. There are dozens of local climate variations. It tends to be cropped for yield though especially in the south. Hence, most of America's bulk wine comes from there.

Hope your vintage is a good one! I am particularly stoked about the Syrah.

Last edited:
@CDrew- Some great info you just passed on to us. Thanks for sharing that.
The rabbit hole I mentioned is what happens to us east coasters when trying to determine where our grapes were grown. Between the local distributors, the packaging & shipping co., the labels on the crates, the distributors who are protective of their sources etc.... it can become quite a maze.
I’m starting to realize that if your buying from Central Valley, to assume your grapes could be from just about anywhere.
But when paying $3 per lb. for WA Rattlesnake hill AVA- is when I think it becomes an issue. High prices like that I think should warrant some more info.

Doing something for the first time this fall. I'm fermenting the wine in my walk-in that I bumped up to 65*. I waited a day for the yeast to start forming the cap before I put them in. The wine temp is hovering around 72-74*. All the yeasts (6 of them) are good as low as 65*. Will follow the recommended nutrient protocol and maybe remove them towards the end of AF.

Update: I'm a little surprised how quickly the wine is fermenting in the box at 65*. Wine temperature holding pretty steady at +/- 75*. Syrah started at SG 1.114 pitched Friday and this morning the range was 1.040 to 1.050. Used Rhone 4600, Syrah and Clos. The Zin was pitched Saturday with a SG of 1.102 and also at 1.040 to 1.050 this morning. Yeast for this was R56, BMX and AMH. All yeasts were rehydrated with Go Ferm and a combination of Ferm O and K were added this morning. Pre fermentation additives were Lallzyme EX, Opti Red and FT Rouge. Prior to this the Must was in the freezer at 40* for a week. For no particular reason I was hoping this ferment would take 2 weeks.

It's interesting that before I started reading this forum, I did not know California grapes got shipped east in "lugs" for wine making. Didn't really think about it or know what a lug was. We never see grapes in the flats you call lugs. Instead, we show up and our grapes come in bin carried by a tractor or fork lift or we have to go and pick them ourselves. I think we generally pay less for grapes too. But the Clarksburg place I mentioned will pick, crush/destem and pump into your fermenter for $1 per pound and these are really nice grapes. But reading here I am realizing it is a different game back east. I'm happy to live 90 minutes from Napa, 30 minutes from Lodi, and 40 minutes from Amador. I guess I should be making a lot more wine! Don't want to jam up your thread, but I'll try to edit with a couple of pics.

I am aware that a pick up truck would be nice, but you make do with what you have!

F456726D-125F-4106-83E8-D8F92E72598A.jpeg 7A492FA6-6057-4CCF-98DC-E3FB0FFF7CFC.jpeg

Last edited:
It's interesting that before I started reading this forum, I did not know California grapes got shipped east in "lugs" for wine making. Didn't really think about it or know what a lug was. We never see grapes in the flats you call lugs. Instead, we show up and our grapes come in bin carried by a tractor or fork lift or we have to go and pick them ourselves. I think we generally pay less for grapes too. But the Clarksburg place I mentioned will pick, crush/destem and pump into your fermenter for $1 per pound and these are really nice grapes. But reading here I am realizing it is a different game back east. I'm happy to live 90 minutes from Napa, 30 minutes from Lodi, and 40 minutes from Amador. I guess I should be making a lot more wine! Don't want to jam up your thread, but I'll try to edit with a couple of pics.

Jam it up all you want. you're giving us good stuff.

Some days just get the better of ya. Today was/is one of those days. The reason—- fruit flies. They have taken over the basement- 1st floor- garage - everywhere! I kill 30. 30 more pop up. I think I cleared the room. The next room is loaded. 100’s of them.
Traps with wine/apple cider vinegar/fans/ zappers/shop vac/scrubbing down EVERYTHING- I doesnt matter.
Not even touching the wine tonight. Lid off for few seconds is like an open invitation.
Tomorrow’s a new day

I give up. All I’ve done was waste time fighting em

Update: I'm a little surprised how quickly the wine is fermenting in the box at 65*. Wine temperature holding pretty steady at +/- 75*. Syrah started at SG 1.114 pitched Friday and this morning the range was 1.040 to 1.050. Used Rhone 4600, Syrah and Clos. The Zin was pitched Saturday with a SG of 1.102 and also at 1.040 to 1.050 this morning. Yeast for this was R56, BMX and AMH. All yeasts were rehydrated with Go Ferm and a combination of Ferm O and K were added this morning. Pre fermentation additives were Lallzyme EX, Opti Red and FT Rouge. Prior to this the Must was in the freezer at 40* for a week. For no particular reason I was hoping this ferment would take 2 weeks.

How could you expect fermentation to take two weeks when you have hit these with every known yeast there is?

How could you expect fermentation to take two weeks when you have hit these with every known yeast there is?

I think he has split his batch into several sub-batches, each with a different yeast. Or maybe I don't recognize sarcasm when I see it, Paul?

Some days just get the better of ya. Today was/is one of those days. The reason—- fruit flies. They have taken over the basement- 1st floor- garage - everywhere! I kill 30. 30 more pop up. I think I cleared the room. The next room is loaded. 100’s of them.
Traps with wine/apple cider vinegar/fans/ zappers/shop vac/scrubbing down EVERYTHING- I doesnt matter.
Not even touching the wine tonight. Lid off for few seconds is like an open invitation.
Tomorrow’s a new day

Sorry to hear that. They're a bear to get rid of.

Tomorrow’s a new day

I've been wondering about the lack of fruit flies in my wine operation this year, but I guess I know now they have been hanging over in jersey.

Tomorrow’s a new day

I've got a handful in my wine room and it drives me insane. I couldn't imagine 100's of them.

Fruit flies are relentless, they can find their way in through the tiniest openings, window screens, roof vents, any cracks or crevices not absolutely caulked and sealed. The other issue is that they come in with the lugs at a development stage that looks like very small brown rice, about 1/10 the size of rice. These things are difficult to see unless you're looking for them, and they fall all over the place just like any other debris. The flies can emerge from the little brown cases at any time depending on when they were originally formed, then you're screwed, population explosion out of nowhere.

Latest posts

Back