2018 Grape Season Underway

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Must be getting better at pressing or getting juicier grapes. Just presses the Lanza PV, 3 lugs, and ended up with just over 9 gallons. The HHH Cab Franc, 126 lbs, I pressed earlier got just under 10 gallons.

You probably are, but each batch and/or varietal of grapes will yield different amounts. I got different yields from the brunello, zin and petite syrah. The PS yielding the least.

Been debating on using another 30l barrel. I have 7 wines over 8 gallons with the SA Cab just out after 12 1/2 weeks and a Premium Syrah in. I figure the Syrah won't come out until the end of January or beginning of February. The third batch will take me well beyond the spring harvest leaving 4 never seeing a barrel plus I'd like to get the Cab back in the barrel once it becomes more neutral. I'm actually running out of bottled wine and want to have something, even if it is young, for the Split Rock Meet Up.

Been debating on using another 30l barrel. I have 7 wines over 8 gallons with the SA Cab just out after 12 1/2 weeks and a Premium Syrah in. I figure the Syrah won't come out until the end of January or beginning of February. The third batch will take me well beyond the spring harvest leaving 4 never seeing a barrel plus I'd like to get the Cab back in the barrel once it becomes more neutral. I'm actually running out of bottled wine and want to have something, even if it is young, for the Split Rock Meet Up.

Heed the call of the barrel. Fill it.

Think I'm going to take the pinotage out tomorrow

Last edited:
I'd argue that the H3 CF isn't ready. But that's just because I like to wait until they're clear and stable before barrel time.

Neither is the PV. I also have a Touriga that I might have to add a bottle of something else to fill but I don't know much about it or the Tempranillo. So it will be a toss up between the PS and OVZ.

Pinotage came out of the barrel Saturday. Coming along very nicely. Will taste again at 12 months. Carmenere/Malbec is in the barrel now.

Back