2018 Grape Season Underway

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oak is just about right. Could have left another week or two maybe, but was happy how it tasted.

Well 2018 is finally over for me. The last 2 are still going through MLF in glass. These are the PV and CF which will see the 30l barrels sometime in February or March after the premium OVZ and Syrah come out. Barreled PS yesterday after taking out the Chilean Carmenere. Super pleased with everything so far this year, my only regret is I wasn't able to get any Tannat or Norton.

I don't know, Fred. Still a few weeks left. Can't you get some frozen must or something? I feel like you hardly made anything at all this year. :p

I know, LOL! The funny thing is, at the beginning of the season they were my 2 first choices but when Virginia sources dried up there was nowhere to go. I understand Norton but was a little suprised no one carried Tannat.

Anyone have the final list of 2018 choices from Washington Winemakers? trying to plan ahead and decide on spring vs fall. probably an overload either way.

I’d definitely do an MLF (coinoculation) and a medium toast French oak.

Was wondering if you did either of those things on your last one. Thinking that my be a reason you were thinking it lacks complexity.

Was wondering if you did either of those things on your last one. Thinking that my be a reason you were thinking it lacks complexity.

I attempted an MLF (failed) and did some oak chips in the finish last time around. The wine was still good, but a bit monochromatic (if ya know what I mean).

But I was thinking about a cooked down peach and mango fpac in the primary.

I know it's a bit of extra work but you should consider using multiple yeasts if you want to add complexity.

While I've not done this myself, I've tasted some of Fred's wines where he split the batches and used different yeasts. In some cases, the differences in flavor profiles are remarkable.

You guys talking separate fermentations right? Not tossing multiple yeast strains into a single fermentation vessel?

Yep, ferment in smaller batches normally 3. I always ferment dry before pressing and combine at that point. On occasion I'll age them separately for a while.

How is everyone's 2018 wines coming along? Itching here for grapes.

Update from my cellar:

OVZ is in the 14 gl vessel until sept. It spent some time in the barrel. So far it's better than 2017 but not quite as good as 2016.....yet
Brunello is in the barrel, just topped off on saturday. maybe another month or when grapes and buckets are in so it's not empty.
Petite Syrah aging in vessel until sept
Pintotage will be bottle in about 6 weeks. Very happy with this one
Elderberry on OVZ skins aging until sept. This came out better than expected

Syrah, cab sauv, grenache juice buckets from Australia. The syrah and cab are just ok, the grenache less then so. Ended up blending and came up with a better wine than each on it's own. 40% cab 40% syrah and 20% grenache.

Sauv blanc still clearing will bottle in 2 months.

Apple/pear came out very good and is slowly disappearing.

Hope all is good with your wines and lives.

Hey Paul, have you bottled your 2017 SA Cab yet. I don't see you mentioned that one. My Sauv Blanc is clear as a bell I'm just waiting for some bottles to come in. I did enter this as well as the Norton Blend in the Winemaker Magazine competition. Can't wait to try the Pinotage. Mine all see to be coming along although they are all going through changes constantly but no real complaints. Don't know what yet but I also plan on bottling some around the September timeframe to make room for fall.

Back