2014 Elderberries

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doug, I think you need to start your own. You always map out these great patches then the state comes along and either cuts or sprays them just as they come in season.

Doug their easy to grow just take a couple starts from them. I have simply clipped a branch from mine and stuck it in the dirt with some compost and its producing nicely!

After just that experience, I started planting my own. I finally found the right time of year to take the cuttings and put them in the ground, too. This year I clippped 12 sticks off a wild elderberry and stuck them in the ground. I put them at least 12 inches into the ground this time. Eleven of the 12 are leafed out and growing. I wish I remembered when I did that. Maybe it doesn't matter much. I think it was March. I've been layering my European plants. The European ones have been blooming for a couple of weeks and the local wild ones are just starting.
I planted some at the ends of my trellis rows in the end braces. Here's a Black Lace elderberry next to my cattle panel arbor.

2014-05-20 18.30.19.jpg

2013-05-29 14.02.15 (768x1024).jpg

Doug, I think you need to start your own. You always map out these great patches then the state comes along and either cuts or sprays them just as they come in season.

My problem is lack of property to plant. I'll continue my hunt for berries. Last year picking was cut short due to a remodeling project. I only managed to get about 43 lbs of berries and I have 5 1/2 gallons that have been aging since October...Almost time to back sweeten some and bottle.

Spotted Drosophila is going to eat them all, better make some elderflower wine while you have the chance. WVMJ

this seems to be a good year for elderberries, the blossoms are very big and I am seeing them all over the place.

Hi guys newby I have a lot of ideas for wine elderberry is one I have a huge furnleaf elderberry, last year planted stakes of wild one one got one plant but it is fruiting this year, so I can use the blk lace elderberry? I wasnt sure if you could as to it being ornamental, the main reason I first bought it for ( before became interested in wine making)

Hi guys newby I have a lot of ideas for wine elderberry is one I have a huge furnleaf elderberry, last year planted stakes of wild one one got one plant but it is fruiting this year, so I can use the blk lace elderberry? I wasnt sure if you could as to it being ornamental, the main reason I first bought it for ( before became interested in wine making)

I don't have any experience with black lace but from what I read you can make jellies out of it, it is not as flavorful. So I would say yes you can make wine from them as well.

I think the black lace is a Nigra not a North American Canadensis so your wild native ones might not pollinate it, there are other Nigras out there if you wanted more fruit from your black lace to help pollinate it. Good luck on your berries, we hope to get some this year, last year the flies got them first, WVMJ

was wanting to post a pic of my elderberry bushes because they were so beautiful in bloom and so many of the blooms but with procrastination being my middle name.. well that and by the time I get everything else done, it's raining or dark outside! Their turning to berries, it's on the top of my to do list tomorrow. Julie it's definitely a good year for elderberry! But also have more than usual beautiful birds of many kind! I got reflector tape up everywhere for a while the birds wouldn't go any where near the tape but I think they have gotten use to it :ft

Kay, I hear ya on the birds. I have a very nice and large bush in my backyard but it is rare that I get much off of it. The birds are already picking at the berries as they ripen.

couple pics of my elderberry. the first pic is a young one - the results of a stick I stuck in the dirt couple years ago the second and third have been established for years

100_1707.jpg

100_1705.jpg

100_1711.jpg

Last edited:
Wow thanks big.her is my black lace one and I have a wild one.I stuck in ground last spring. It has berries. I hoped the wild would be polinate by my blk lace. may have or not I read you need two different kinds. I also have a American cranberry Viburnum and a blk hawk Viburnum. Maybe I'll try those some year.

1404155796722.jpg

1404155809938.jpg

1404155834162.jpg

Wow thanks big.her is my black lace one and I have a wild one.I stuck in ground last spring. It has berries. I hoped the wild would be polinate by my blk lace. may have or not I read you need two different kinds. I also have a American cranberry Viburnum and a blk hawk Viburnum. Maybe I'll try those some year.

Spunk,
I have several viburnums including two large American cranberry bush and two large blackhaws. The blackhaws have never produced enough fruit but they are clones and there may not be a good pollinator nearby (viburnums can cross pollinate but only if blooming at the same time; viburnums have such vastly different bloom times that this is the limiting factor in whether you get pollination). The highbush cranberries fruit very well. Keller says they make one of the best no grape wines...not for me. I tried it once, kept it for over a year and the bitterness never abated. Horrible. Down the drain. YMMV.

My black haw fruits I taste last year kinda sweet not bad. Never tryed the american cranberry.i read to eat them it is best to use after they freeze. Late winter is when the birds seem to eat so that is when I would pick them to use if I have time.

Took a quick ride to check kut the bushes after work. Most are out of flowers and starting into berries. Looks promising this year. The one location where they usually cut is over grown with them now.

Latest posts

Back