2013 Missouri Valley Wine Competition

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like Best in Show went to #136

Gold medals went to:

Nope! Right now if you are the owner of the gold winning bottles you know, but no one else does (outside of MVWS). I think it took ~a month to get the results and full lists of all the wines, etc. last year, as well as the mailed reviews from the judges.

I got an email from Bob Truetken. If you didn't provide an email with your registration form, my thought is that they wouldn't have another way to let you know. You could try emailing Bob, he's a good guy. [email protected]
I would bet you could tell him who you are and what you entered and he could give you your numbers. Good luck!

Last year Golds accounted for 8.5% of entrants. This year (if the list above is complete) golds account for barely 3% of entrants. Either the list above is incomplete or it was a tough year. Since Best in Show is listed all judging must have been complete when the post was made.

Include me in the 97% that didnt get a gold medal. Maybe a silver? Crossing my fingers. Will see when the full results come out. Bob did send me the numbers for my entries. The first email he sent was trapped in my spam folder so at first I did not see it.

I suspect the low golds might be somewhat rectified. I imagine that this is why they called it an "unofficial" list. They might go back and bump in categories where there were few to no medals awarded. Total guess though. We will see.

Also, message from MVWS today on the Facebook page:

For those of you that are interested to know when the results will be published, score sheets, awards and medals sent back to you, I still have to audit all the entries. Anyone attending our March 14th MVWS Meeting, I will announce the winners, give out awards and medals. On March 16th, I will publish the results on our website, www.mvws.org
You might want to go to our website and register as a registered user. I will be sending out an email to all registered users that the results brochure is available for download.

All right guys and gals, yes the number of golds are down this year compared to last year. I think the judges maybe were a little tough this year but I think as the number of entries increase each year from now on, the percentage may stay around the 4 to 6% range.
2013 - 377 entries and 4.09% gold,
2012 - 318 entries and 8.49% gold,
2011 - 267 entries and 5.62% gold
2010 - 248 entries and 6.85% gold
2009 - 192 entries and 7.29% gold.

Does anyone know the percentage of gold to total entries at Winemaker Mag

The judges were tougher this year. All the table stewards and score keepers were commenting on that also.

Hopefully they will give us good notes. Especially if the are being hard that feedback could really help.

Yeah, with the gold medals more than cut in half, will hope for some good reviews. I think I got some good comments last year, so here's to hoping we get useful comments this year as well!

Drinking my last bottle of my white wine blend. I entered it in the competition. I was going to wait and drink through a bottle of each of my entries while reading the notes but my wife wanted some so I figured what the heck! I made it to drink! Not sure if it won a medal but it tastes like it did :)

Anyone else going to the meeting on Thursday? The hubby and I are planning to.

Back