2013 Missouri Valley Wine Competition

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got mine packed and ready to ship to them on Monday.

Very cool. Thought this wasn't open to TX winemakers but I was mistaken. Thanks for the heads up! Will have to see what i have laying around and box them up. $10 and one bottle per entry is a good deal and you get notes back?

Very cool. Thought this wasn't open to TX winemakers but I was mistaken. Thanks for the heads up! Will have to see what i have laying around and box them up. $10 and one bottle per entry is a good deal and you get notes back?

Yup pretty good notes - they have 30 judges - last year they had 318 entries included US and Canada.

I think they are expecting close to or over 400 entries this year.

They have awards for the thirteen prize categories this year valued at over $2,300.

The winner of the Best of Show and Winemaker of the Year Awards will receive a 65 Liter (17.3 U.S. Gallons) Variable Capacity Tank w/Accessories (stand not included).

Just dropped my wines off today and mailed in the registration form.

Here are some details on the 2013 Missouri Valley Wine Competition:
Note the award for the Best of Show and Winemaker of the Year Awards.

Missouri Valley WineSociety is in its 5th year of the MVWS Wine Competition. We welcome you back in what will be a bigger and better competition this year. Last year, we had 318 entries from 10 states and Saskatoon, Canada. We are expecting more entries this year.

The wine competition will be February 17th. You can obtain more information from our website at www.mvws.org

Deadline for entry and wine delivery is February 11th.

This year, we have a number of great sponsors that have donated gift certificates for the major prize awards. Please visit their website as they were generous in donating the awards.
AnnapolisHomeBrew
Curds and Wine
E.C. Kraus
Fine VineWines
KeystoneHomebrew
LallemandBrewing
Leeners
MissouriWine and Gift
MidwestSupplies
NorthernBrewer
St.Louis Wine and Beer
Vintner’sVault
White Labs
Wyeast

We have awards for the thirteen prize categories this year valued at over $2,500.

The winner of the Bestof Show and Winemaker of the Year Awards will receive a 65 Liter (17.3 U.S.Gallons) Variable Capacity Tank w/Accessories (stand not included).

At this point, we will have guaranteed 1st, 2nd and 3rd place awards for each of the other prize categories. That may change as we get more sponsors. Gold, Silver and Bronze medals will also be awarded to all entries based on the modified 20 point UC Davis scoring system.

To qualify for the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place awards, your wine must have scored a bronze medal or higher.

The prize categories are as follows:

Best of Show
Winemaker of the Year(Top 6 scoring wines submitted by a winemaker)
Fruit/Grape Wine Kit(Island Mist, Orchard Breezin, Summer Breeze and the like)
Red Grape—American
White Grape—American
RedGrape—French-American
WhiteGrape—French-American
Red Grape—Vinifera
White Grape—Vinifera
Non Grape Fruit
Port/Fortified/Ice/DessertWine
Mead and SparklingWine
Herb, Spice,Vegetable, Flower

Last edited:
The entries are starting to fly in.

Jon,
Hope you win lots of medals and are in the running for the winemaker of the year award.

We have 15 sponsors with over $2600 in prize money.

Yeah me too. Past 2 years have been good.

This is the first year i have enough to qualify for winemaker of the year.

Good luck to you as well!!!

I have a couple that have almost enough age on them to be good. Some others that might be on the young side but they might make it in the box for a bus ride north to Mizzou. I am going to pop some corks and taste a few this weekend and decide which ones I would like to get some feedback on. My display rack is a little off balance. I need four more medals to balance it out. :)

Jon,
What do you think your number 1 wine will be?

I am not real sure - I don't like to get my hopes up - because you never know what will happen.

I did enter:

Strawberry Peach
Apple Spice
Charondel
Vidal Blanc
Seyval Blanc
Vidal/Seyval Blend

Strawberry Peach and Apple Spice have done well in the past and my whites this year are better - so it will be interesting to see how things pan out this year..

Update to the Missouri Valley Wine Competition---

We now have 17 sponsors with awards valued at over $3,100. There will be guaranteed 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th awards for all prize categories except Best of Show and Winemaker of the Year Award who will receive the 65 Liter (17.3 U.S. Gallons) Variable Capacity Tank.

It is not to late to enter. Visit www.mvws.org for downloading the brochure and to receive more information. Have your entries in by February 11th.

Missouri Wine competition

:u Okay, I'm going to send in three entries. Maybe for one of them is my Piesporter(great white), the other is a BlackBerry wine all fruit- next is a cranberry Melbec fruit juice blend, Ill packed up tonight and in the mail Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, the latest.:sm Let's see what happens. I like the competition but I also like the feedback. Even better........................:pic

Well I went and did it...sent a bottle in to be judged......now I'll be pacing the house for weeks.

Latest posts

Back