Zinfandel yeast

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sundevil

Junior
Reaction score
I'm waiting to do my first batch from crush. I will be trying Zinfandel from the Amador County, California area (Plymouth).

I've heard that there are two types of yeast used for Zinfandel grapes in this area - D 80 and D 254. I have not had any practical experience in this matter and don't know which yeast to use.

Any advice?

Thanks.

From More Wine Grape & Yeast pairing at www.MoreWine.com.

Zinfandel / Primitivo

• BM45: Good all-around choice with big mouthfeel, jam, well. Effective for reducing herbaceous and vegetal notes
plum, and berry along with earthy and spicy elements. Good in under-ripe fruit colour stability and helps to minimize vegetative characters

Zinfandel Yeasts.JPG

They now have a BM4x4, which can take the place of BM45, which has such a high nutrient requirement that if not fed properly, can get stuck easily. I have used the BM45 several times and liked it, but personally haven't tried BM4x4, yet.

RP15 and BM45 would be my go to choices for Zin

They both look great, and keep in mind you can ferment two 3 gallon batches and blend them together later.

I read where one guy did 3 blends. 1.) was 50/50 2.) was 75/25 3.) was 25/75. He also had a few bottles of 100% of each.

Have fun and please post your results and findings. As JoesWine says, "Think out of the box."

I just looked at my order which will arrive tomorrow and I did end up going with the BM4X4. Getting ready for CRUSH! :p

They now have a BM4x4, which can take the place of BM45, which has such a high nutrient requirement that if not fed properly, can get stuck easily. I have used the BM45 several times and liked it, but personally haven't tried BM4x4, yet.

So do you all think it would work to use the above mentioned yeasts with a OVZ kit? The kit usually comes with EC-1118.

So do you all think it would work to use the above mentioned yeasts with a OVZ kit? The kit usually comes with EC-1118.

Only if you take under consideration the fact that some yeasts, like BM45 require a lot of nutrients, compared to EC-1118, and you add those nutrients.

Also understand that if the kit fermentation should fail, the kit warranty won't be honored if you change the yeast.

I gotcha. Just hoping the EC-1118 gives me a decemt tasting OVZ.

I substitute my own yeast strains quite often. It can make a difference, even though many times the difference is very subtle. Experimenting with difference yeast can be fun and educational. Buy yourself some Go Ferm energizer and Fermaid K nutrient (or whatever types you like) and experiment. The idea is to check the amount of energizer/nutrient the kit-supplied yeast requires, then check it for the yeast strain you want to use. If your chosen yeast strain has a higher nutrient requirement, go ahead and add about 75% energizer and nutrients of what yours requires. I do 75% because the kit will already have some supplied in the juice concentrate. Going over a little is not going to be a problem for a kit wine, especially if you use clearing agents.

My WE Eclipse Lodi Old Vine Zinfandel came with Premier Cuvee yeast. I'm glad I finally got a kit that was different from the EC 1118. If the kit is great then I'll probably change when I make Zins.

My other kit is a WE Eclipse Lodi Ranch 11 Cabernet. It came with EC1118. Go figure.

Back