your states hidden food.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesngalveston

Reaction score
being from louisiana every one knows of gumbo and biegnets.
but who knows about rice callas, fish couvion, are sauce piquante.

what food does your state make alot, but you dont see in a cafe are restaruant.

These are not foods that are part of my state but from my an esters, riffle soup, it's a beef noodle souf but instead of noodles you make small egg dumplings and bread egg bet no one has heard of that!

In eastern North Dakota it is a confluence of Norwegian cultures from the east in Minnesota and German cultures from the west side of the state. So it is not uncommon to find local restaurants serving knoephla soup (a German dumpling) and lefse (a Norwegian potato pancake) on the same menu.

I don't care for the lutefisk.

When I first arrived I was surprised to find people bringing cinnamon bread with cheese whiz hors d'oeuvres to parties. Often these would be topped with green olives. Strange.

And, of course, we have all kinds of "Hot Dish" which is an upper midwest term for "casserole" - you must try the tater tot hot dish some time.

Last edited:
I'm from Louisville Ky and I live in Nashville.In Nashville its a food desert. There isn't a good fish sandwich in the whole state. At home every place you go has a good fish sand.We had rolled oysters, 3or4 oysters breaded and rolled together and deep fried , deep fried heaven! A don't forget the hot brown. I done talked my self into a trip home soon.

Ox Roast.
What is Ox Roast?
Contrary to the name, Ox Roast is not Ox meat! Ox Roast is actually thinly sliced seasoned roast beef cooked in natural juices. Smith's Ox Roast is fully cooked - it only needs to be heated and it is ready to enjoy. Other common terms for Ox Roast are "Beef on Weck" (sliced roast beef with juices on a Kummelweck roll); "French Dip Sandwich" (sliced roast beef on sub roll with juices, and au jus on the side for dipping); "Italian Roast Beef" (sliced roast beef with juices on an Italian roll or bread, topped with melted provolone, sauteed peppers and carmelized onions); and "Classic Ox Roast" (sliced roast beef on a Kaiser or other hard roll, topped with horseradish).

I used to play a golf tourney in the Adirondacks that did a Ox roast every year. Good. Good, stuff!

The only hidden food I can think of is potato chips. They were invented in Saratoga Ny, but they are not served around here with meal in bars. Only a local pub in toga sells them with every meal!

(Apologize for spelling error, franks entire mason jar of Apple pie stuff....wow!)

Well, I am a native of Philadelphia, and a resident of Milwaukee. Unfortunately, I have been out of Philly too long to remember it all, and not in Milwaukee long enough to have learned all of their secrets!

Philly: Of course, everyone knows the cheesesteak, the soft pretzel, and the hoagie. Many know water ice (pronounced locally as "wudder ice"). But did you know soda was invented in Philly? Other local favorites, not as well known, include scrapple, pork roll, hot pork sandwich (preferably with provolone and broccoli rabe), pepper pot (a soup made with tripe), and snapper soup.

From Milwaukee, I imagine everyone knows bratwurst, and uhhh, beer, and cheese curds. Fridays are for fish fry, but I think that is pretty widespread. Of course, Wisconsin produces more cheese than any other state, but did you know they produce more ginseng and cranberries, too? Back to food: Local specialties include the butterburger (hamburger cooked in pure butter), frozen custard (as in real custard, with eggs), and the cream puff. For some unknown reason, Wisconsinites consume more brandy per capita than any other state. (If you order a Manhattan in some areas, you need to specify if you DON'T want it made with brandy.)

have never heard of bread egg, at all.
Beef on Weck. in buffalo new york.
Milwaukee is the cream puff state for sure...and custards...
Kopp's Frozen Custard
and hamburger marys in milwaukee...to die for

julie is this what you call bread egg..
if so...my mom would make this for me when i was young.
she called it adam are eve on a raft..
lol

bread-egg-cooking-1024x680.jpg

first time i had bread cheese was in milwaukee...
was served warm with some fresh home made apple/cherry jelly..and was heaven.
have since had it from several places...including the original made with reindeer milk from finland. I would trade my best girl friend for a hoard of it.

Red or Green?

RedGreenWeb.jpg

Our "unofficial" State motto! Growing up in Texas all I had ever experienced was "TexMex". Then I moved to NM 28 years ago and had the chance to experience "NewMex" and honestly have never looked back or missed TexMex.

I have to laugh at the first time I ordered enchilada's at a restaurant. They ask "red or green". Had no idea what they meant. Chose red. When they brought them out not only were they not "rolled" like TexMex, they were made from Blue Corn so they were blue in color and they were "flat" like a pancake. They layer the tortilla with chile and cheese and are stacked flat. Now if I don't get my "Chile Fix" at least once a week I go through withdrawal symptoms! :)

Favorite foods are Carne Adovada (Burrito made from slow cooked pork stew meat and red chile) :hug

l.jpg

and of course the now famous "Green Chile Cheeseburger! :hug

p3280194.jpg

I agree with you ibglowin...after living in arizona for 14 years then to texas it was culture shock going from real mexican to texmex..

I forgot to mention our "other" hidden secret food. The Sopapilla……… :hug

sopapilla1.jpg

Most tourist have no idea what to do with this thing! :) Its basically a Beignet without the powdered sugar sprinkled on top. Deep fried pastry dough that puffs up when cooked. Then brought to the table still warm (in a good restaurant). Served with butter and honey this is one heck of a way to end a fantastic meal. Oh and the combination of bread/butter/honey is a great way to cut the fire in your belly if the chile was too hot!

julie is this what you call bread egg..
if so...my mom would make this for me when i was young.
she called it adam are eve on a raft..
lol

We called it Toad in a Hole. Yum! I make it for my kids now.

Ironically, the place I learned that it was called Frog in the Hole was in Donaldsonville, LA!

Back