You know you live in the country when......

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julie

Reaction score
All afternoon someone is shooting automatic rifles and you hear a loud BOOM that makes your windows raddle and you check to make sure your boiler/furnace didn't explode. ROFLMAO, this is country!!!!! :tz :tz, :tz

Sorry Terry, I know you were closer but Mike and I have been laughing our asses off ever since we heard where the loud boom was coming from, I am assuming the shooting was coming from the same place. I actually thought it was Judy's place.

That sounds like a normal day for me.... I live next to Camp Lejeune Marine Corps Base

Potato gun!!!!! Where was this at for your party last spring?

I was actually at a family party in the country and I brought mine and there was another. People are amazed at the power and distance they can go. They are really cool after dark when the entire barrel glows and flames come out of the end by about two feet.

What's really cool (not that I would do it..LOL) is to stick steel wool around the potato with pins or tooth picks and shoot it in the dark. The steel wool glows in the dark and you can watch it the entire way. Just be careful of the corn fields and other dry vegetation.

Also it's not nice to aim for the combine picking corn 500 yards away either.

I was actually at a family party in the country and I brought mine and there was another. People are amazed at the power and distance they can go. They are really cool after dark when the entire barrel glows and flames come out of the end by about two feet.

What's really cool (not that I would do it..LOL) is to stick steel wool around the potato with pins or tooth picks and shoot it in the dark. The steel wool glows in the dark and you can watch it the entire way. Just be careful of the corn fields and other dry vegetation.

Also it's not nice to aim for the combine picking corn 500 yards away either.

Lol, the other is you really should not be shooting one across the allegheny river in warren county cus there are CANOERS ON THE RIVER!!!! Mike's nephew, we had to explain that people do canoe on the other side of the island!

Well Julie,,you should have been as close as I was,,,,the whole house rattled! Chuck jumped and well you can guess what he was doing and saying,,,roflmao!! I had already been given a heads up that it was gonna happen,,just didn't know it was going to be that big!! Told them they better knock it off before someone turns them in for it!

You know you live in the country when they put up a no shooting sign and your sons go fill it full of holes. 3 signs latter the county crew gave up

Alright Julie and Terry, what was it? Military practice or just some folks having fun?

I still recall when I was young air the Air Force base was only a few miles away. It was a large SAC installation and housed lots of bombers. I think the worst was the B-52s. As they would approach the base with all 8 engines running all the windows in the house would rattle. When they added FB-111's during and after Vietnam it was very noisy especially as they broke the sound barrier and your windows too. LOL

It is much quieter now after the cold war became luke warm and the base was closed. It was replaced as an international airport so a lot less jets now. I think the area all sleeps a bit better now as our area is no longer a primary target.

Click! A light just turned on.

I think the closest we have someone shoot is when the deer get hit in the road next to the house and the cops have to dispatch one. A year ago a lady hit one just across the fence near our house. Three shots range out one at a time from their revolver. If I shot that close to the house, they would cart my a$$ off, yet they get away with it. I bet he wasn't 75 feet from the house! Me thinks he needed a bit more time on the pistol range.

A friend used to have a 30 inch cannon and would fire it off repeatedly on July 4th. Now that would rattle the windows!

Mike hunts in the back of our property, he has permission from the owner and all that the owner asks is to keep other hunters off his property. I can see him in his tree stand from my kitchen window, our neighbors do the same. But our neighbors allows his youngest to hunt by himself and he is only 15 and has a temper problem, I am very cautious during hunting season because of him. Mike would never get away with some of the crap they do next door.

Ahhhh,,,life in the country. The boys next door do get togeather quite often to target practice. One of them, (my son-in-law) is going to the police academy and needs to practice (ok,yep I bought that excuse) but yesterday they decided to fire at some kind of explosive that did make a huge bang! They got the idea of that from the other neighbor (Julie, I am not mentioning names,,but you know who) who fired at one this past summer and scared the crap out of everyone. I just hope that that one is now out of their system and they don't do it again.

UBB said:
I LOVE Tannerite!::

You can make this from stuff at wal mart. Instant cold packs. Cut open remove water bladder.... Ad aluminum powder to the ammonium nitrate that is left in packet... Shake.... Same thing as tannerite exactly. We blew a fridge apart with ten pounds of this stuff. Look up ten pounds of tannerite vs. fridge oakley on you tube for video.... Should be in black and white

You know you live in the country when.....

...."traffic" is farm equipment that might make you late to work.
.....gun shots are more common than people walking by your house/road
.....fires are on purpose and an easy way to spot a party at night
.....the radio gives you meat and crop prices
.....the nearest anything is 5 miles or more away
.....highways are really just 2 lane curvy roads

It's been a trip growing up near STL and now living 8 miles from an actual town.......of 3,000. Used to be IN a town of 15,000+ that connected city/town after town all the way to the arch.

Latest posts

Back