Yikes! Pump Problem

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vernsgal

Just me
Reaction score
I have this pump, there's no manufacturer's name on it. I bought it from Spagnols here before they closed.It stopped working (it might have run dry for an hour ,not sure because the on/off button was a little wonky on it . I usually unplugged it right after use but I got called away and when I got back..nothing).
If that was what happened can it be repaired?if so ,how? or does anyone recognize it and know who the manufacturer is. I've sent a pic off to Spagnols but I'm not really holding on any hope from them.???:a1:(:(:(

20150103_150209_resized.jpg

Wait a day and try it again. I have a similar pump that my brother let run dry for too long. It over heated and then blew the fuse I had on it. I didn't have another fuse so I tried hooking power directly to the pump but it wouldn't run. Tried it a day later and it ran fine. Just used it to filter three 6gal batches.

Even if the pump is toast hang onto the little round inline strainer. It is worth about $40 as I recall. I have a sailboat so I'm very familiar with the little small 12 volt diaphragm pumps used to pump fresh water to the faucets on boats and RV's. That's what I'm using. I have a small portable battery box like you use for jump starting a car with a dead battery. It has got a cigarette lighter socket on the side that I plug the pump into. Works like a champ. Bought it online for around $50-60 I think.

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

yes its a vacuum pump. The wine pumps in a hose on one side and comes out a hose on the other.( in pic above, on the left side , at the top and bottom is where the hoses connect.It racks a 6 gal carboy in about 3 minutes. There is absolutely no name on it or markings on it.

Kim, the photo is a little hazy but that appears to be an impeller or centrifugal transfer pump and not a vacuum pump. In either case, the liquid does not cool the pump. However, running it for an extended period of time would cause the motor in the pump to overheat. There should be a trip device built in the motor to stop it at a given temperature. If there is not such a safety device, the motor could be burned. Do you detect any type of smell from the motor?

yes its a vacuum pump. The wine pumps in a hose on one side and comes out a hose on the other.( in pic above, on the left side , at the top and bottom is where the hoses connect.It racks a 6 gal carboy in about 3 minutes. There is absolutely no name on it or markings on it.

That does not sound like a vacuum pump to me. (Could be a diaphragm pump that can pump either air or liquid, I s'pose.) What is that round thing in the center of the picture that has the green-handled hose clamp?

That does not sound like a vacuum pump to me. (Could be a diaphragm pump that can pump either air or liquid, I s'pose.) What is that round thing in the center of the picture that has the green-handled hose clamp?

That's a little filter compartment that plugs into the intake side(see pic)The metal filter comes out for easy washing. So when both hoses are attached it looks like this:(see pic) so the intake goes in the side with filter attachment,green clamp, and it comes out the side with orange clamp

20150104_123850_resized.jpg

20150104_124030_resized.jpg

Last edited:
Kim, I believe what you have is a transfer pump. I told my husband what happened and he said for the cost to buy one new it probably is not worth fixing.

Thanks guys. And Mike that site you posted is the exact pump I have.I sent them an email and asked if there's any hope.

Back