Yeast

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The instructions in kits are a guideline. Regardless of what we do, winemaking is a natural process that will proceed as it does, depending on factors such as fruit, yeast, temperature, etc. initially, follow the hydrometer readings -- it will tell you when things are ready for the next stage.

Bulk aging? If you're using a barrel, there is evaporation of water from the barrel and a concentration of the remaining constituents, plus the leaching of flavorings from the barrel itself. Extended aging has real value.

If you're aging in steel or glass, the real benefit is time for the wine to clear. Giving the wine another week or month or 6 months will not hurt. Make sure your airlock has kmeta water in it -- don't let it evaporate! Remember that wine ages more quickly in smaller quantities, so bottling sooner means it will be ready to drink sooner.

When doing a kit, all post-fermentation time frames are minimums, although if the kit uses oak chips or cubes, that comes into play as sitting too long on the oak can impart too much oak qualities. I typically bottle 1 to 8 weeks after the kit instructions say it's ready to bottle. Kits clear quickly, so it's pretty much decided by my free time.

In a similar vein, when I make beer I do 2 stage -- moving it into a carboy for 1 to 3 weeks, which helps with clarity.

Think the senior member comes with a certain number of posts. Think it is about 150 or so. Arne.
Actually I've seen new members with that phrase.

You can create whatever you want. So it has no connection to much of anything.

Would be nice to have it related to experience as identified by forum monitors.
Especially as it pertains to vendors. People who sell wine related supplies and equipment should be identified in all fairness. Nothing against their contributions within reasonable limits.

It’s set by the user, nothing else.
I never noticed that, mine popped up via posting. Another forum beersmith had a good system untill it got disabled cause some idiots were abusing it.

LOL, ok. Well it used to be related to the number of posts way back when it changed to senior member for me. Things change. Arne.

Actually, in communicating with TxBrew, it does seem that the system has some internal control, so I stand corrected. Oddly enough, you can also change it yourself if you like.

After I saw a new member (1 post) with the designation "Senior Member" I realized that the identifier really has no meaning.

It would be nice to have something other than the number of posts to determine the designation but who would then make that decision and base on what criteria.

Number of post and "Likes," or user provided years of experience.

But then I remember those old adages

"There's no fool like and Old Fool."
'Making the same mistake 50 times is not the same as experience'
You never make the same mistake twice - the second time it's a choice. (Ouch1)

Why are we so obsessed with this title? I don’t know about the group, but I Would much rather discuss wine making, or perhaps yeast selection on our wine.

GaDawg - I guess it's because - When you see an identifier you want to believe it means something. Think many of us remember when they started permitting professional basketball players in the Olympics - we knew then that the era of the Olympics being ONLY for amateur athletes was clearly dead - thing were no longer what they seemed. So also the term Senior Member also means zero.

One point - Those who contribute/donated will have the term "Supporting Member" under their name. I no longer have that I guess because I haven't donated in over a year.

Make certain your yeast is fresh, i.e. not expired. Check the expiration date on the packet. If past the date I don't waste my time with it, and throw it out.

Make certain your yeast is fresh, i.e. not expired. Check the expiration date on the packet. If past the date I don't waste my time with it, and throw it out.

READ that Date Information. Mine say "BEST BY" I have used a packet almost 3 years past that date with no issues. I used another packet 6 months past that date with no issues. None of the yeast I've bought has an "Expiration" date on it.

It's very easy to tell if the yeast is viable or not. Tossing it out, fine but why do that until you KNOW it's no good?

Last edited:
After I saw a new member (1 post) with the designation "Senior Member" I realized that the identifier really has no meaning.

It would be nice to have something other than the number of posts to determine the designation but who would then make that decision and base on what criteria.

Number of post and "Likes," or user provided years of experience.

But then I remember those old adages

"There's no fool like and Old Fool."
'Making the same mistake 50 times is not the same as experience'
You never make the same mistake twice - the second time it's a choice. (Ouch1)
That was a concept on beersmith's forum untill err... It got disabled thanks to some abusive people who misused it and used it as a tool to abuse people.
READ that Date Information. Mine say "BEST BY" I have used a packet almost 3 years past that date with no issues. I used another packet 6 months past that date with no issues. None of the yeast I've bought has an "Expiration" date on it.

It's very easy to tell if the yeast is viable or not. Tossing it out, fine but why do that until you KNOW it's no good?
I used a 4 year old pack once and it did work. So yeast can last a bit longer than the recommended date but i dont advocate Trying it.

Back