Yeast

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poppysue

Junior
Reaction score
How long is yeast good for? I have a couple of packages in my fridge that are a yearor soold. Is it safe to use them?

Check the expiration date for the packet. If it is past the date, I would just get new yeast. It is cheap compared to a failed ferment. If it is close, it is probably OK.

They will usually outlast their expiration date. Rehydrate them in some warm water with a little Orange juice or just sugar and nutrient to get it started, this way you know it is good. Havent seen your name up here before but notice you have been a member for awhile. Glad to see your still with us!

I am not advocating usingexpired yeastsbutI have successfully used yeast over a year expired with good results. It was kept refrigerated the entire time I have had it as are all of my yeasts. As Wade states, if you have to use an expired yeast, make a starter to asses the viability of the yeast. Even re-hydrating will help give it a jump start if for some reason you can't make a starter. Even if it isn't expired but may be getting close, rehydrate or make a starter for a little extra assurance.

Thanks for you responses. Duh - I didn't even know they had expiration dates.

I have one package of Flor Sherry that expired in Dec. '06 - I think I'll chuck that one. The others are Jan., April, and June of this year. I'll do as advised and make starters first with them.

I have been around a while but haven't started any new wines in a long time. I've been kicking back and enjoying the fruits of my labor
smiley14.gif
I just had several pound of blueberries given to me so I need to get back into it. I think I'll start a batch of strawberry too while I'm at it.

Thanks again!

You might want to get some fresh yeast for the blueberries. That is a hard wine to start so it is good to have as fresh and active yeast that you can get. If you do want to use what you got, make a starter, not just rehydrate, to assure a strong cell count to give that blueberry a good kick start. When I do a blueberry I do the sprinkle on the yeast but I use 2 packs of the freshest yeast I can get.

What yeastwould you recommend for a blueberry? I was going to use Pasteur Red because that's what I have - but if I buy new I might as well get my best option.

The Pasteur Red is a good choice. Thats what I normally use.

I like the Red Star Montrachet myself. I would use both yeast nutrient and energizer for the Blueberry wine.

Latest posts

Back