RJ Spagnols Yeast to use for riesling

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olusteebus

Reaction score
I am making a Grand Cru Riesling this week. It came with 1118 yeast. I was planning on making a wine blend using Alexanders Riesling concentrate and Julie suggested that I use 71d 1122 for that recipe.
IT seems to me that 71d is much superior to 1118 for white wine.

I plan on substituting it for the 1118 that came with the kit.

Any suggestions or concerns.

add a little yeast nutrient to kit to insure good fermentation. Cotes de Blanc is another good yeast that retains aromatics of wine, a desire with Riesling.

I am working on my first white wine . It is the Alexanders 6g juice pail Muscat . A local store recommended to use Lalvin ICV D-47 .

You may use a variety of yeasts. Each yeast has its own characteristics for what you are trying to achieve. Low foaming, acid reduction, difficult musts etc.

Here is a link to Lalvins yeast chart with each yeasts characteristics.

http://www.lalvinyeast.com/strains.asp

No one will yell at you for not using what they suggest if you choose otherwise.

I recently used a yeast for reds on a white. It was all I had at the time. Guess what? Everything worked well.

In time if you start making several wines you will find yeasts you prefer for them. Not a problem.

d47 looks like the way to go. I don't have any but I will order soon.

Thanks to all

Back