Yeast Storage for next year

Discussion in 'Yeast, Additives & Wine Making Science' started by CDrew, Oct 1, 2019.

Wine Making Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating:

1. Oct 1, 2019 #1

CDrew

CDrew

CDrew

For 2019, I bought a 500 gram brick of Avante yeast. Between my use and the use by my friends, I've still got 200 grams of it. That's plenty for all the wine I might make in 2020. Does anyone know if it can be kept over the winter in the Fridge and still work next year? I have a vacuum sealer and would do that before buttoning it up. I also have a deep freeze chest freezer if that would be preferable.

And if I use it next year, should I increase the pitching amount to say 1.5 grams per gallon?

Not a huge deal, and I'm certainly willing to buy another 500 grams, but waste is waste so... If anyone has experience, I'd like to know.

2. Oct 1, 2019 #2

salcoco

salcoco

salcoco

Veteran Wine Maker WMT Supporter

sealing is great, refrigeration is adequate. next year before season start just check viability by hydrodizing a small amount.

CDrew likes this.
  3. Oct 4, 2019 #3

CDrew

CDrew

CDrew

Doing the experiment. Vacuum sealed until next September. Our Fridge holds a very steady 35, so that will be storage temperature. I pulled out 40 grams for the weekend Mourvedre pick and the rest (actually 217g) will sleep with the butter dish.

I did notice at Lodi wine labs, they store the sealed bricks of yeast at room temp.

27C7F8F9-A7A6-4164-B72E-E94B90524279.jpeg

Chuck E and Jay A like this.
  4. Oct 4, 2019 #4

Jay A

Jay A

Jay A

Junior

Great idea, as inexpensive as it is, why waste it.

5. Nov 1, 2019 #5

CDrew

CDrew

CDrew

I have already dipped into this twice! Already. So we got a bunch more grapes in the last week or two and I've been into it twice. I gave a buddy 35 gm, and I used another 60 gm myself, so there isn't much left. I'm going to save the roughly 120 gm that are left, but it's basically done. This Avante yeast is really good stuff. I'll by another brick of it next year. If anyone out there wants to try Avante this year, and still can get grapes this late in the year, I'll put it in the mail to you tomorrow. Send me a pm.

Anyway, I guess I'm not doing the overwinter experiment, since it's basically used up. I'll vacuum save about 100 gm to next year and see what happens.

Chuck E likes this.
  6. Nov 1, 2019 #6

Intheswamp

Intheswamp

Intheswamp

South Alabama - The Enchanted Land of Humidity
    I like your idea of storing it in a (wine) bottle better than in the refrigerator! ;)