Would you use this press on your grapes?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibglowin

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So I called the vineyard manager down at Luna Rossa Winery down South in Deming, NM which is our little "Napa Valley" here in the state. He will sell me as much Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot as I want for $0.70 a pound and if they are crushing they will crush mine as well. Since this is my first foray in making wine from fresh grapes I was trying not to buy a crusher or press this year if possible. The LHBS in Santa fe said they have a press they rent out for $30 for 24 hours. I went to take a look at it today and it looks like an antique! Its a Sears Roebuck model! It looks like it works, but it looks pretty old and sorta rusty. I need some opinions from the pro's on this one for sure!

20100821_201102_IMG_0570.jpg

20100821_201118_IMG_0572.jpg

20100821_201132_IMG_0573.jpg

Would I be better off springing for the small 25# press from George this year and a crusher next year?

i would do a pressure test first...very critical...squeeze yourself into the basket..have them start pressing...push back...see who wins...they win...its strong..you win...its not...fairly easy test

I think if it were painted it would be good. I would be hesitant with the wood otherwise.

I'd use it! I don't think that would be much of an issue. First I'd make sure it got a good douse of idophor solution, which has a 30 second kill rating.

Here's the nice thing about wood: It's very porous! While you think this can hide bacteria, it's actually what makes wood so anti-bacterial. You see, it absorbs the water and bacteria, and then dries out and kills the bac good! It's why wooden cutting boards work so well too. The only time to worry about wood in winemaking is when you have a barrel infected with Brettanomyces, and that's because you should never let a barrel dry out, or it will leak. Wine presses like this are just fine.

You should see the stuff that gets into primary fermenters at commercial wineries!
smiley11.gif

Dean, are you implying that us home winemakers are way to anal about clenliness ??
smiley36.gif

I agree with Dean. It may not look pretty and is pretty small, but don't let the looks scare you. I see very little rust on it, just stained metal. The basket looks fine to me also. It is very hard to keep a basket pristine without adding a new finish all the time. Clean it like Dean suggests and use away.

Now if you want an excuse to get a new small press, that's another matter. It will give you more ammunition with your argument with the CFO of the household.

I was thinking that in all actuality it looked in pretty good shape but didnt want to give you the wrong info so veered on the safe side. It looks to be about the size of a #30 from the pic. It sure looks like it is a pretty strong press to me. $?

Add me to the list. I wouldn't think twice about using it. Looks fine to me.

Thanks for all the "real" replies!
smiley2.gif

So what cleaning regimen would you perform on it prior to use?

Any soap and water first? Or perhaps B-Brite followed by Iodophor solution? How much Iodophor solution would I need to pick up? Would the 4oz bottle be enough?

It actually is a pretty cool looking press, and I would love to have one like it outside the winery/patio area with flowers planted in the basket!

Thanks for all the ideas and opinions!

Looks good - I sure would use it

after sanitizing, of course.

good pressing

rrawhide

4oz of idophor is a lot! Mine mixes at the rate of 1ml to 1l of water, so yeah, 4oz is a great amount for this press and your next year of wine-making. Remember that idophor solution is only really effective for 24 hours after mixed (it can go longer, but you lose the 30 second kill).

I would use it. Make up a gallon of iodophor soltion and spritz it all over. Rinse with tap water, then spritz with sulphite. Remember to put the grapes into a bag for pressing.

Thanks guys for the responses!

I will order the small 4oz bottle. The instructions say no rinse on this stuff. Hard to believe it wouldn't smell like Iodine but I did some reading online last night about Iodophor. Pretty amazing disinfectant! I may make up a big 5 gallon batch of the stuff and just soak the whole basket in it for a few minutes as well as the blocks and juice pan of course.

We are headed down South this weekend to visit some good friends in Las Cruces and will head over to the Vineyard and see how things are progressing. The Whites are coming in now and the Reds should be in a few weeks.

I have 2 of the White 20 gallon Brute trash cans coming this week. White is hard to find. Online ONLY it seems. Only Grey in stock at Home Depot etc. Nice size for a Primary fermenter. Not too unwieldy!

I have a 32 gallon Brute trash can that I have used when making apple wine. I bought the caster plate that goes on the trash can. It makes them very easy to move.

BOB

ibglowin said:
I saw those but they are more expensive than the trash can themselves!
smiley5.gif

They also can be tippy, so be careul when moving. If you hit a bump, the whole thing can tip. How do I know?????
smiley5.gif

I have a baker's dozen 32 gallon grey brutes for primaries and have to wait in line for them to begin another.

Thanks for the warning on the Brute Casters as Im getting a few any day now and will either get the caster cart or make my own depending on what they have for pricing on casters alone to make my own. As for sanitizing I prefer Star San as you can put it in a Spray bottle and it lasts much longer.

Back