WineXpert WineXpert Gewurz. Question.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

codeman

Reaction score
So I finished primary fermentation.
Right now I'm racking to second.
the kit says my SG should be 1.010 or less, don't proceed unless 1.010 or less. (Let be for 10 days)
Well my SG is 0.990, and yes I know how to read it properly. All bubbles from the air lock stopped.
So I racked to second and topped off with some off the shelf Gewurz then put air lock on.
AFTER the 10 day second fermentation it says the SG should be 0.996 or less, well mines already 0.990....

I still haven't gotten to F packets yet.
That's after the secondary fermentation.

Should I wait the 10 days? Should I have topped off with the F packs? (Remove and replace with F pack juice)

I'm following the instructions exactly! But I wasn't expecting the SG to be this low so soon. It's been at 75-78 degrees the last 5 days (started 5 days ago)

I notice my SG is well below where the instructions say it should be all the time - every single kit I've made, and at every point. SG is just a way to see what is going on with your wine - when it stops dropping, your fermentation is done.

Don't rush - follow the days, or even better - extend the time. The best advice I got on this site when I started was be patient! It was tough with my first couple kits, but now I always let things sit (besides primary) much longer than the instructions say.

Also, the temp is a bit higher than the instructions call for, so that will speed things up a bit. Mine are the same way - but I do everything at room temp - about 75 degrees here in Florida. Folks who are lucky enough to have a basement have things move slower when their fermentation is taking place in the 60-65 degree range.

I would agree on following an extended time for kits, HOWEVER, in primary fermenting, anything below 1.010 or so does not produce enough CO2 to keep oxygen away from your wine. Rack it as soon as you can and get it under airlock.

And a hydrometer reading is always the best way to determine racking times.

Well I had airlocked the primary (and secondary).
My house temp was 72* and the adhesive thermometer I stuck to the ferment tank said 75-78* but I don't think it's super accurate.
Ok new question.
The kit says to leave only the thickest sediment behind. But about 2 hours after I put it into the glass carboy I noticed at least 1/2" of sediment, should I rack this off right now? The kit says wait 10 days (now 9) then intentionally stir up the sediment before clearing. Just curious if that amount of sediment is excessive at this point.

Sorry this is my first time so I want to get it right.

Follow the directions. The sediment you are seeing now contains some bentonite you added in the first step. This is needed for clearing later on. Wait the 10 days (or more) and then go to the next step (which will start with stirring up all the sediment on the bottom).

Tim

Most of the sediment you see now is composed of yeast cells dying out from either lack of food (all sugar turned into alcohol) or alcohol poisoning.

Either way, its a good thing!

It will probably pack down in the next few days to weeks to be a 1/4" or less.

Relax...it takes a monumental screw up to wreck a wine kit!!!

P.S. You dont need to airlock your primary bucket. Most of us simply lay the cover on or cover the bucket with a towel.

Back