RJ Spagnols Winery series super tuscan temps??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captainl

Reaction score
Quick question. I have this kit going started on the 6th. The SG was down to 1.024 last night. However we have had some of that cold weather stuff come through houston. The closet temperature that I am keeping this in is 66 degrees F. I am planning on letting this ferment to dry in the primary. I want to ensure that it completes and doesn't get stuck. The directions say a min temp of 68 degrees. Should I move it? I could put it upstairs where the temp is 70. But for a couple of degrees it doesn't seam worth the hassle. What would you do?

As fermentation increases, the temperature of the must/wine goes up. When things start to slow down (at about where your SG is now), the internal temperature of the wine goes down.

What is really important is the temperature of your wine, not so much that of the room, although the wine's temperature will end up being drawn toward that of the room temperature.

You would be better off if at this point you could keep the wine temperature up in the lower 70's F. I would recommend getting a brew belt from your LHBS. It will keep the temperature up high enough. If you can't get one, move your fermenter to a warmer place.

It is harder for a wine to finish at 66F, especially with the yeast that typically comes with the kit.

Another thing you can try is wrapping the bucket in something to retain the heat created by the fermentation process - I use an old insulated shirt for that purpose. As Robie states, it may not produce that much heat at this point, but it may be enough to get you a few degrees. Getting into the 70-75* range would be preferable though.

I keep the heat from fermentation in by covering the carboy with the inverted box it came in and then covering that box (with about 1-2" of airspace) with another box, all sitting up 30" off the floor on a wooden table. I have a small oscillating space heater to get the ball rolling. My basement stays at 68 degrees or so. Once fermentation starts and I trap the heat, it goes real well.

BTW, Captainl, if you have never tried the Winery Series Super Tuscan, you are going to love it.

Thanks guys. The temp room temp is up to 69. I also have it sitting inside a large plastic tub. I think I'll hit it for a little with a heating pad and then put some towels around the fermentor. I am now thinking I'll go ahead and rack it tomorrow morning into a carboy as SG is now below 1.020 (per directions). Then I'll move it to the warmer area of the house. Temps will be back in the 80's sunday so our house temps will be creeping up to the mid 70's so it should work out well.

I'm looking forward to this wine. I got it because I have read good things about it on here. I'm planning on bulk aging it for 6 months then bottling.

Thanks guys. The temp room temp is up to 69. I also have it sitting inside a large plastic tub. I think I'll hit it for a little with a heating pad and then put some towels around the fermentor. I am now thinking I'll go ahead and rack it tomorrow morning into a carboy as SG is now below 1.020 (per directions). Then I'll move it to the warmer area of the house. Temps will be back in the 80's sunday so our house temps will be creeping up to the mid 70's so it should work out well.

I'm looking forward to this wine. I got it because I have read good things about it on here. I'm planning on bulk aging it for 6 months then bottling.

Racking now is a good idea. Anytime fermentation stops at this point, raising the temp and giving the wine a good stir (to get yeast off the bottom) are good fixes. Racking will get those yeast well stirred up and give them a nice final dose of oxygen before being locked down in secondary fermentation.

If you stir the wine a few hours before you rack, the gross lees will have time to settle back down pretty quick, but the yeast will stay in suspension for much longer. This way when you rack, you will take most of the yeast with the wine to the carboy. However, in regard to what to take to the carboy, follow your instruction for this racking; some kits instruct you to do things differently.

I started this kit in June, which was my first Winery Series kit.
I will be bottling it today, initial taste test says this is one of the best reds
I have made so far, another is the Winery series Australian Meritage which I bottled yesterday. So far these are my only Winery series kits but I will definitely be making more of this series.

Its the only red kits I make. Ive made many others over the years with the exception of spending dble on the Mosti Meglioli and Masters editions and find these and the RJS EP the best kits out there for body and taste and full tannins! Its why I highly recommend these kits on this forum!!

Latest posts

Back