Stabilization/Clearing temperatures

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Regmata

Reaction score
I guess a more appropriate title would be aging temperatures, but I can't figure out how to edit the thread title.

I have several WE Eclipse kits (Zin/Cab Bourbon barrel, Sauv Blanc, Reisling) that are going into the stabilization/clearing phase then aging and a couple more that I am going to start in the next few days. Each set of instructions says to keep the wine between 68 and 77 degrees F during aging. Unfortunately, I am having some HVAC issues that we are trying to fix. My basement is cold in the summer and hot in the winter and it is where I normally keep my wine. It is in the high 70's. I also have an office that is in the low 60's.

I plan to keep the whites in carboys for 6 weeks or so, but the reds I was thinking 6-12 months. Hopefully in that time I can find an environment with a more stable temperature.

Which would be the better place to store wine in terms of temperature? Does it make sense to store white and reds at the same temp for this stage? Some of what I am reading calls for whites to be at a lower temp than reds. If so, should I toss the whites in the office and keep the reds in the warmer basement?

Thanks

Last edited:
Keep them all in the low 60s office, high 70s is pushing it for aging. More important is to try and avoid rapid temperature swing. My cellar is around 67 in the summer and will slowly drop to 52 for the winter, but the change in temperature is about 1 degree per week in the spring and fall.

Thank you. I do worry about the rapid temperature changes. My office swings with the outdoor temperature and my basement swings with the heater. The temps are all over the place, within a 10-15 degree range. I think my wife if just going to have to deal with 5 carboys in the pantry for a few months...at least the temp there will consistently be in the low 70's.

How long are you going to keep your wine? 55 degrees is suppose to be the ideal. From what I read when I was building my wine box, < 70 and you are easily good for 5 years. My corks are good for 5, so everything is about at the same level.

Not sure. The whites will be gifted or consumed fairly quickly. Hoping to give the reds a few years in the bottle before doing the same.

Unfortunately, my office will be hot in the summer. I am hoping to be lazy here. I don't feel like transporting wine every couple of months. Hopefully an HVAC guy can figure out where the leak is in my system so my basement can return to a nice, normal basement temperature.

Back