Winemaker Magazine 2014 Competition

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, Here is why I personally have never attended.

Lets price this out.

Full Registration: $700
Boot Camp (several options) : $200
Spouse Meal Option: $125
Virginia Winery Tour Option: : $150

Total: $1175

Throw in at least 2 nights lodging at the Conference Hotel so you can be close to all the "action" : $500 (with taxes)

Thats a pretty expensive weekend.

I attend my local State "Vine and Wine Conference" for Winery and Vineyard owners each year. It is open to Amateur winemakers as well.

2 day Conference with full continental breakfast each day, full hot lunch with multiple meal options including Vegan, afternoon snack break each day, optional evening dinner, full access to exhibitors, wine tasting, multiple tracks (professional and amateur) : $200

Each year we have several speakers who have also spoken at the Annual Winemaker Magazine Conference as well such as Shea Comfort aka "The Yeast Whisperer". Its close enough for me to commute each day so no need for a hotel room.

Since you can find most of the information from many of the speakers in the Winemaker Magazine or elsewhere online unless you just really, really want to press the flesh with a speaker and fellow winemakers you can easily find the answers to all of this online, in forums, or in the magazine for much much less than what you would end up spending at the conference.

I find it very overpriced.

I asked the same question, it's hard to believe that no one from this forum is attending

I asked the same question, it's hard to believe that no one from this forum is attending

I gave it very serious consideration, but only because I live 20 miles away. The $600 early bird registration fee wasn't too hateful by itself. But if you add travel, lodging, boot camps, etc, it is very expensive. Ultimately, I decided I could buy a lot of wine stuff for $600 and would prefer to do that.

I can understand the cost factor but what you can't get online is the face to face fellowship and feed back from sharing your wine. We had a great time and made some new friends. There was a lot of great information and I thank conference value is fare. The lodging is high for sure and travel is what it is. :)

I am beginning to think they punish those who enter the comp but dont attend by delaying posting the results, after all the judging has been done for months, all they have to do is upload a pdf and add a link, anyone could do that even after a lot of wine :):) WVMJ

I thought the judging was bad last year, apparently many people also did as they dropped from 4500 entries to 3100. I would have thought they would be expanding the numner of entrants. WMM might need to take a little looksie as to why they lost 30% of the entries. I know we used to pull golds and silvers, I hope we are making better wines but this past 2 years have been brutal. Maybe WMT should host that guy out in Walnut Grove to give an online talk about how to metal in the WMM contest, he has got it figured out in just about every category, I think he did an interview in WMM and said his secret was to use really good fruit. Congrats all who metaled and hoping we can read the feedback notes this year :):) WVMJ

Plus they lost 1400 entries x25 from last year right? I thought maybe the judges had more time to taste each entry since there were so many fewer ones right :) That might be a good thing or a bad thing! WVMJ

Folks, I would not get your hopes up for the notes. With as many entries they get they are tasting and jotting down scores, probably not so much writing notes. Your best comments will come from your spouse and people that ask/desire your wine. I am not talking about Skeeter Pee, DB or kit wines that are hard to screw up but I am talking about wine you crafted from juice or scratch.

I got two Bronze medals for my Port and Moscato. It's my first time entering this one.

I have two take aways :

1. seems like there were way more kit winners then traditional grape/juice. Not sure how I feel about this. I have nothing against Kits and have made a few, but I think that they should be in different classes

2. Customer Service, it would have been nice for them to say that they were going post the results the day after the contest instead of having everyone guessing.

Congrats on the medals. I got my judging notes yesterday and while the scores were consistent the notes were not.

Congrats on the medals. I got my judging notes yesterday and while the scores were consistent the notes were not.

I can't say the same. On one entry my scores were 17, 10.5 and 05. Can you believe a FIVE. I would prefer a ZERO. I think someone would not have accepted a 12 point spread. All subjectivity considered one of those two judges was either over opinionated or under qualified.

Honestly, I enjoy getting medals and all... But I would rather have good feedback. I do not think this competition is for me. I have also noticed that most of the winners are kit wines... A very sound majority infact......

Congrats to all winners!

Latest posts

Back