Winemaker Magazine 2014 Competition

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My entries went out today, how many of you guys have entered ? Also is it worth the trip to attend ?

I'll enter 2015
Just finished my first fermentation :D

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

It is a large competition, so most likely not bad from getting a fairly honest review of your wine. However, from my experience they do not give back good feedback.

Does anyone know how quickly they post the results ? and do they give out medals for the winners ?

Would a Cabernet/Merlot blend go into the "bordeaux blend" category, or "other red blend"? I'm assuming Bordeaux, but am looking for confirmation.

Actually, it would be kind of interesting to enter a Malbec/Carmenere/Petit Verdot/Cabernet franc blend into that category, just to see what they say! "Hey, they are all traditional Bordeaux grapes!" :i

the winners are announced this Saturday, Does anyone know how quickly they post the results for those of us who can't be there. Also who else has entered from the board and what ?

I entered four bottles, CC Roso Fortussimo, RJS Super Tuscan, WE Nero d'Avola, WE Matador Trio. Everything I entered was presumably 2011 vintage bottled late 2012.

Last edited:
Nothing for me, too steep an entry fee especially in light that last year people were unhappy with the quality of the judging notes received. Be interesting to see if they improve this year or are about the same.

It takes them weeks to get the results posted, I never figured out why it takes them so long since they already know who won before the conference even started, my guess is they need a designated webmaster who isnt allowed to partake until after the results are posted, that should get them up in a timely manner! WVMJ

the winners are announced this Saturday, Does anyone know how quickly they post the results for those of us who can't be there. Also who else has entered from the board and what ?

Thanks WV, i have yet to hear anyone actually attending the event. Also wondering if they post the finalists on a board when you walk in like they do at other contests. I can't wait weeks for the results I am too excited :D

My first time it took them several months to post the results so I know exactly how you are feeling. But please dont forget, you are making wine to how you like it no matter what the judges (amateur volunteers - you could be a judge) think of it. If you get some good clear notes back that point out some flaw that can really help, but it is after all opinions, and those can shift from year to year and from judge to judge just like most comps. Wishing you good luck! WVMJ

I entered two this for the first time. Hopefully the notes will be fair

Back