Wine touching bung, did this ruin it?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abefroman

Reaction score
On one of my carboys the wine was touching the bunch for about a week, think it happened when I was topping off an air lock.

Did this ruin the batch , or is it OK still?

It will be fine, Abe. Just grab your theif, have a little taste, and give it about an inch of space. How did the pineapple wine turn out? I've been thinking of trying a batch. My tropical fruit wines have been favorates of friends and family.

It will be fine, Abe. Just grab your theif, have a little taste, and give it about an inch of space. How did the pineapple wine turn out? I've been thinking of trying a batch. My tropical fruit wines have been favorates of friends and family.

Thanks!

Pineapple was awesome!!! I filtered it, which I don't usually do, but I believed that helped with this one. Highly recommend the pineapple.

I would do as Dave suggests and get at least an inch between the wine level and the bung. Changes in temperature and pressure can affect the volume and could pop your bung or at least get wine into the airlock.

I haven't had this happen to me, but I've heard others say that it has made their wine take on a rubber taste (if a rubber bung). I would give a little space,

PS. If you do the Pineapple wine make a Pineapple skeeter pee as well.

I haven't had this happen to me, but I've heard others say that it has made their wine take on a rubber taste (if a rubber bung). I would give a little space,

The wine at the very top tasted like rubber, so I used a bastered to pull that off, the rest was fine.

I'd imagine if it was touching for a length of time it could ruin the whole batch.

Latest posts

Back