wine that smells and tastes musty

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katsfarm1

Junior
Reaction score
I finished some blueberry wine, bottled it in a plastic food grade jug (didnt have any glass bottles left) but did not have time to sweeten to taste.
i places in the fridge for safe keeping and let it warm up on the counter before sweetening. once sweetened, i placed it back in the fridge to sample a week later only to find that the scent and taste of the wind is musty.
What does this mean? did the cooling, warming, the cooling again spoil the wine? or what?
i have kept wine in the fridge many times before without this flavor.

is there anything i can do to filter or remove the odor or taste?
thanks for any help anyone can provide.

What type of food grade jug was it? Was it topped up? Could of oxidized a bit. Also, how did you sweeten the wine?

Was this container sanitized before use and what was it it before. How long was it sitting not in use.Welcome to the forum katsfarm! We need a little more info to diagnose this problem as it could 1 of several problems or a few problems together.

Thank you for responding so quickly.

The plastic jug was a 1 gallon ( I cover my eyes as i say this - but it was all that i had at the time) hawaiin punch gallon jug. I did wash it out and rinse with both hot soapy water and hot rinsing water but did not follow any particular sanitizing procedures other than the hot water.

The wine cleared out in 2 days (sediment was at the bottom).
It was sweetened with a solution of granular sugar disolved in hot water, but I did not add it to the wine until it was cool.

Both the wine (in the plastic jug) sat on the counter warming up and the sugar water cooling down before they were mixed together.
There was probably 2 inches between the top of the wine and the seal of the jug.

I hope this helps in the diagnosis of my problem. Is there anything I can do to salvage this mess?

The only thing I did try wasI read that egg white in water with a pinch of salt could be used as a finning agent. I put that in some strawberry wine that was still cloudy (tastes great but is cloudy)and somein themusty blueberry wine that i put in a sanitized 20 ounce water bottle just to test and see.I was surprised that it removed about half of the musty flavor and smell from the blueberry wine even though it did not clear up the strawberry. I read it was suppose to clear up wine but did not expect it to remove the mustiness. With that said, is this a good idea to get rid of the musty flavor in the rest of the wine? or is there something better?

Thanks for you help and listening to me ramble on.
Thanks again....
-Tom

Welcome katsfarm,

I had the same problem with my last blueberry. The first time I made it, it was excellent, the best fruit wine I have ever made. I made it again, same recipe about 6 months ago. It is in 2 glass gallon jugs. Tasted it and.....yes....very musty. It looks clear, beautiful color but don't know where the musty taste is coming from. I'll be looking for an answer just like you!!! Ramona

I would aerate and add pot meta just in case it is a bacteria forming and post back in a few days.

PWP,

Mine is aboaut 6 months old but had that taste within a month of having it in glass.

It is still there....no Musty Fairy came along and sprinkled any anti-musty dust in it.
Ramona

You wanted to use the Anti-Musty Fairy too? I keep her in our wine cellar...
smiley9.gif

Latest posts

Back