Wine Recipe from the 1930s?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clarissa

Junior
Reaction score
Last year, I stumbled across a recipe for homemade wine in a cookbook published in the 1930s. The recipe was simple: soak fruit (I used blackberries) in warm water overnight, strain fruit from the liquid in the morning, mix liquid and X amount of sugar together in an old wine jug, and cork and let sit until "next October".

I tried this recipe in June 2013, and as it has been over a year, decided to try the wine last night. It smells alcoholic, but is thicker than any wine I've ever had and very sweet. I cannot taste any alcohol. I have read other recipes for making wine, and all require some sort of system to allow gas to escape the jug/bottle, and since I did not use a method like this, I'm wondering if this wine will be safe to drink?

I am sure it will be fine as long as you follow these simple rules :

Only try it on weekends, so you dont have to use your sick days
stay close to a near by bathroom
dont forget the number to 911

I am only teasing !! Taste it and your palate will tell the story

Sugar? check. Fruit? check Yeast? OOPS-forgot the yeast! You wanted who to turn that sugar into alcohol? Let us know how that stuff turned out.

I believe that the recipe probably relies on the natural yeast on the fruit to ferment the must into wine. The only problem is that you do not know if there is any and/or what type.

Latest posts

Back