Wine making workbench?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoSourGrapes

Junior
Reaction score
Has anyone made a workspace for their winemaking hobby? If you were going to, what would it look like / include?

We have an entire "kitchen" in our winery. Wall and base cabinets and one countertop. But you need space above if you're going to be working with carboys on the countertop. Or at least, one dedicated space where you don't have a cabinet above. We have a few rolling carts for storing carboys that are in the aging process.

It's handy to have a sink with a pullout sprayer so you can clean up vats and carboys easier.
I recommend a double sink--or a double laundry tub works good, which is what we have.

We also have carboy racks to hold empties. We have every inch of space in use, so that takes some planning. It's amazing how much useful space you can acquire if you use good planning of all the space.

And, of course, we have racks that we built ourselves which holds about 300 bottles.

Here is a corner of the basement that I use. There is a bathroom right next to it for easy access to water and sink. I am building another carboy shelf system to put on the left side.

20140314_083128.jpg

Try it now John

Give it a try and see if it will work now. The first time I tried adding to it, it was empty but is taking gibberish now so give it a try again.

Here's my humble area right after it was finished. It hasn't been this clean since. The real work horse is in the lower left of the image. You don't see much of it but it's an old Steelcase desk probably from the 1950's. That thing can hold some serious weight.

photo (2).jpg

I appreciate the posts. I am looking to shift my hobby from car restoration to making wine. I'm planning on selling my current project car (below) and setting up a work area for low volume, high quality wine production from grapes.

I see that I need space needed for analytical equipment, racking, bottling and storage. Unfortunately, here in Sacramento, it gets 100+ degrees for 3 weeks straight and there are no basements, so I need to figure out cold storage for 6 months out of the year. Does anyone have cold storage for carboys or small barrels figured out?

7494E09A-0DAD-4659-BED3-FFA8DF9EBEF3-2453-0000032E2966A66D.jpg

I bought an 11' stainless counter for $150 from a restaurant that was going out of business. Fitted the drains and the water supply. Works great.

Cave.2.jpg

Cave.3.jpeg

Try to keep it simple.

Simple!........Simple...you call that simple Dan?????
That basement is equipped as well as our labs at work (although I just bought a 100-1000X Keyence Digital microscope for $60,000..which I don''t see in your lab:p)

Simple!........Simple...you call that simple Dan?????
That basement is equipped as well as our labs at work (although I just bought a 100-1000X Keyence Digital microscope for $60,000..which I don''t see in your lab:p)

I can't believe you just brought that up. I'm having one hell of a time trying to convince my wife I need this. I even have my name on a list for a new app coming out this summer with all the wine related microbes on it.

http://www.cynmar.com/SearchByKeyword?word=csh-08175

My basement is cluttered, and has multiple uses as can be seen in this photo.
The plants will go outside in a few weeks. The Train collection is up for sale.
My woodworking equipment is going with me to the new house in Rehobeth Beach.

The new house has no basement, just a conditioned crawl space which I could use for aging wines. The 2nd floor will be unfinished, so It's a blank canvas I will start working on when me move-in. Wife wants half of it for her sewing room. The rest is mine, so I need to figure out how to keep it cool (cold storage) as Nosourgrapes mentions. Here's pics of my multi-use basement I'm in today.

District 3 Bel Air-20140406-00423.jpg

District 7 Port Deposit-20140406-00425.jpg

District 7 Port Deposit-20140406-00426.jpg

District 7 Port Deposit-20140406-00422.jpg

It took me a year to find a house with the right set up. My wife wanted to kill me several times, but we bought a house that was perfect for my needs as a winemaker and we have been living here for almost 20 years.

- The basement is in two parts, separated by a partition and door. Each part has it's own heat zone.

- One part is finished with a fireplace, wet bar, carpet, etc. We partitioned off a corner section and converted that space into a wine vault with a 2,500 bottle capacity. The partitioned off area has it's own heat zone and can be kept rather cool in the summer as this area is mostly below grade.

- The other part of the basement is a 30 X 40" space that opens to the outside at ground level (handy for wheeling in heavy buckets of must) through double steel doors. The opposite side is cinderblock and is completely below grade. To one side I build a solid core counter for holding demijohns with plenty of room underneath for 225 liter barrels. To the other side I built a lab "area" with hot/cold sink, counter, and plenty of open shelves.

This is my only hobby. If I ever took up another one, it would either bankrupt or kill me.

Back