wine harvest

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Verey Nice Wine-O.Your country / classic mixeslook pretty intersesting and tasty.
smiley4.gif

<DIV id=ms__id20>
<DIV id=ms__id24>Joeswine .... I have never had Lilac wine untill I brewed my own. I actully got some heckling when I proposed the idea
smiley9.gif
<DIV id=ms__id23> Well the tea , before turning it into a must is horridly sweet and astrigent. Right before racking to the2ndary is was horridly sweet with a slight less astrigentsy. On clearing the sweetness mellowed a bit and also the astrinentsy, more of a tart. I left it on the lees and tasted every week untill the roller coaster of sweet to tart evened out a bit. Then I racked again for the final clearing and stabalizing, potassium sorbate, K-metaand sparkloid. I am on my 5th racking now .
<DIV id=ms__id22> As of two days ago the finishis still a bit tart with a slight taste of honey.The finishdoesnt linger in the mouth, which I like. I am going to continue racking as needed till december and give a good last cold stabalize to see if I can drop anymore sedement. Then if im satisfied I will bottle and celler. I dont plan on releasing any until june of 2009. The tasteis improving with age and its been hard not to dip in as it is
smiley24.gif
. The down side... pretty kicken on the alchohol and one drink catches a head change.Its good cold and warm.With less alchohol im shure the flavor would be a bit more excieting.I really do like this wine and want to try other flower wines in the future. I would recomened to give it a try.
smiley1.gif

thanks for the insight,elderberry flowers are also good to work with

wade looks like you got your work cut out for you,yesterday(FRIDAY STOLE A DAY OFF) SHIFTED INTO HIGH GEAR BOTTLED 6 GALLONS FRESCTA,,3 GALLONS WHITE ZIN,BLENDED THIS ONE WITH MUSCAT,6 GALLONS OF CHARD/WITH CITRUS, RACKED 3GALLONS OF EXCELLENT PEACH WINE,REMEMBER THE ONES I THOUGHT I LOST DO TO EXTREME DEGASSING,THEY ARE ACTUALLY QUITE GOOD,(DOCTOR FIX IT HERE),THEN SATURDAY WAS ALREADY TO GO TO THE FINISH WENT DOWN TO THE BASEMENT AND DISCOVERED THE HOT WATER HEATER LEAKING FROM THE BOTTOM,LIKE THE GOOD HVAC MECH. i,AM I WENT TO THE LOCAL VENDOR AND PURCHASED A NEW HIGH EFF. ONE INSTALLED IT IN A COUPLE OF HOURS AND THEN SAID WELL TOMORROWS ANOTHER DAY,SUNDAY THE PLAN IS TO RACK 12 GALLONS OF PINO NIOR,6 GALLONS OF MUSCAT,BOTTLE 6 GALLONS OF BLUEBERRY WINE EXCELLENT i MIGHT ADD,YOU REMEMBER THE RASPBERRY WELL THIS IS THE SAME INTENSITY,DEEP BLUEBERRIES ALL THE WAY WINE IN THE MIDDLE AND FRUIT AT THE BACK END,WELL AT LEAST THATS THE PLAN,I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO DO PICS.,YOU LOOK GREAT MY FRIEND AND YOUR END PRODUCT REPRESENTS IT.

Looks like Wade is a 'neat-nick'...everything all lined up nicely.

Your wine racks must be full by now...?...Yes????

Show us your racks.

well the plan worked out,bottles 6 gallons blueberry,racked Thompson seedless into secondary,racked muscat into secondary,bottled 6 of the 12 gallons of pino noir,so far so good.

Last weekend I picked my 2nd harvest from 5 year old Merlot vines planted in my front yard. From 17 vines I got 204 lbs. I'm doing several variations from this years harvest.

From fresh grapes:

<UL>
<LI>White Merlot. I put freshly crushed grapes into the press to get enough free run juiceto make3 gals.Tossed the remaining skins back into the primary fermenter for the red Merlot. Primary finished Friday and has been transferred to secondary.</LI>
<LI>Red Merlot. Primary ended Friday and I pressed about 9 gallons, now in secondary.</LI>[/list]

Quasi second runs using fresh grapes and kit juice:
I boughtpails of Mosti AllJuice Caberlot and AllJuice Merlot from George a few weeks ago for the 2nd runs.

<UL>
<LI>AllJuice Caberlot. On day 3 of primaryfrom the fresh red merlot above,Imixed about 2 gallons of unpressed mustwith the Caberlot. Fermentation started immediately with no added yeast and finished yesterday. Now in secondary. </LI>
<LI>AllJuice Merlot, I reserved 1 gallon of freshly crushed grapes, before beforegoing intoprimary fermentation,and froze them. I have not started yet but plan on doing it like a grape pack kit using the EC1118 yeast providedwith the kit.</LI>[/list]
I've heard of people using pressed skins from fresh grapes for second runs but decided to do it with a twist.

Those all sound great Tank. One of the advantages of being in warmer climates. I am still a few weeks away from the first season harvests and probably a month away from the bulk of the picking. I expect a couple tons if all goes well and there are no last minute surprises.

tank i only did a press once and that was enough for me to much work,ifa wine maker has never done thisphase of the business,then they,ll be kissing the vineyards who just produce the juice for us underlings........................takes a lot of work god bless you,apple man i ,ve seen the extent of your place on pics thats a lot of up keep along with everything else///////////////////////////////////

http://www.sweetim.com/s.asp?im=gen&amp;ref=12

After a 5 month break from active wine making here, although I did finish up and bottle 2 batches of chokecherry, a raspberry rhubarb/apple blend, and the crabapple rhubarb that I had started before I got waylaid --

I've presently got a very slow to clear Joe's Ancient Orange still being ignored, and have started this last weekend the kit wine I got last Jan/Feb. ~ Vieux Chateau du Roi - which will be the daily plonk to keep my hands off the wines that will benefit from aging, and a Pomegranate/Blueberry from frozen concentrate.

Not much, but a start again !

Chokecherries on my property were stripped bare by birds between checking them (unripe) and getting them after they ripened. Last year we got many gallons of the chokes and this year I only got 1/2 a quart -- then my honey found another grove in the "back 40" and came home with 1/2 a gallon. Not quite enough.
smiley6.gif

What's worse is I donated about 12lbs of chokecherries and 2 qts of juice to our towns local Chokecherry Festival so they could make chokecherry syrup for the Fireman's Pancake Breakfast. So much for being Civic Minded! Lesson to me, don't count my chokecherries till they are under fermentataion !!

pelican said:
Chokecherries on my property were stripped bare by birds between checking them (unripe) and getting them after they ripened. Last year we got many gallons of the chokes and this year I only got 1/2 a quart -- then my honey found another grove in the "back 40" and came home with 1/2 a gallon. Not quite enough.
smiley6.gif

What's worse is I donated about 12lbs of chokecherries and 2 qts of juice to our towns local Chokecherry Festival so they could make chokecherry syrup for the Fireman's Pancake Breakfast. So much for being Civic Minded! Lesson to me, don't count my chokecherries till they are under fermentataion !!

Good grief Woman...What were you thinking?????
smiley3.gif

Never ever share your berries before harvest....

Hopefully you will find some mega bushes....Am sure there are some around there some place.

well tonight i bottled cholocate cherry port, and ice wine both were kits for a lady in mt wine group staying on course,ordered my wines from italy and cal. they should be in the 1st or 2nd week ofseptember..........................................

Tell me more about this Choc. Cherry port kit as I have not heard of this 1 before!

well its a we / kit i believe and this lady started it in my space late last october ,she is a world traveler setting up major events and exobitions,for what ever co. she workswith her father he owns a vindyard up in northern ny state,she ask if i woud help her make this kit,she attends most meetings,but shes always gone so i ended up doing the kit,cholocat cherry port,either you or jode sent me a bottle in the swap,,it was quit nice in taste and finish but a little thin in body,3 gallons volume,also the ice wine kit,i finished ,but last meeting i gave her somedates and we bottled both last night,she was happy wiith the results,however now that there bottled there still in my space because there no place for her to put them in hers at present ,,,,seam like I,ll never get this product of of my space thank god i have a lot of space....but i enjoy helping my wine fellows out when ever i can,the ice wine really finished out good nice body and i think thats because i didn,t use the powered sugar they supply for second fermentation i used my own simple syrup which does add body.....

Ok, thats the Chocolate Raspberry Port. Beginning to think there was another kit out there to order!
smiley36.gif

Latest posts

Back