Cranberry Salad Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derunner

Reaction score
It is the time of year when you can get fresh cranberries. I have a family recipe for cranberry salad, and I was thinking of following this with some changes to make a cranberry wine. I've never made a fruit wine so all suggestions are welcome.

First off, here is the original Cranberry Salad Recipe

for 9x13 pan

2 lb Cranberries
2 oranges
4 cups sugar
4 tbsp knox gelatin
2 cups cold water
2 cups celery chopped fine
2 cups chopped English walnuts

Wash cranberries, put cranberries and orange through a hand grinder. Only include rind of one orange. And sugar and heat to boiling for 2 mins. Remove from heat, add helatine disolved in the cold water. When cool add celeray and nuts. place in refrigerator overnight.

It is then covered in a whip cream mixed with a pinapple sryup

2 1/2 cups pinable juice
1 cup sugar
1pt whipping cream
4 eggs
4 tbsp flour
pinch salt

combine sugar, eggs, flour, and salt. head juice . Add mixture and cook over low heat until thick. Cool completely. Whip cold cream. combine with cold pineaple mixture.

Now to the wine

So i can't include all those flavors, but i was thinking perhaps including some of them. For instance, I thought I could grind up cranberries with oranges and rind and heat, but not boil the mixture with the sugar to pull out more flavor/sugar from the cranberries. this could be put in a strainer bag. The sugar/juices should wash out into the must, but it would contain the berries/orange parts to continue to add flavor during primary fermentation.

Most of the cranberry wine recipies i have seen are adding 1.5 to 2 lbs of cranberries per gal of wine That seems like a lot berries. Could I perhaps use 6 1bs for a 6gal batch, and add some cranberry juice instead of using just water.

How about adding chopped walnuts and celery. Will those flavors come out if included in the priimary? Would you want them in a wine?

I can't really pick up the topping flavors, except I could add a little pineapple?

So given these thoughts, here is an initial recipe for 6 gal batch

6 1lbs cranberries
6 oranges with 1/2 their rinds
grind, heat on low heat with 6 cups of sugar Do not boil
Add 3 cups chopped walnuts
Add 3 cups chopped celery
Add 3 cups chopped craisons.
Add all this to strainer bag.

Add 1 qt pineapple juice
Add 2 96 oz ocean spray Cranberry Juice
Add sugar syrup to reach 1.075 SG
Add water to 6 gallons

Add 1 tsp tannin
6 tps yeast nutrient
3 tsp yeast energizer
3 tsp pectine enzyme

After fermenting dry, back sweeten with a cranberry juice syrup to 1.010 or taste.

Having never done this before, How close is this to a working recipe.
Should I include bentonite? how much?

All comments welcome.

Last edited:
[Disclaimer: comments from a newbie]

Cool idea for a recipe.

I think that the celery in the original salad is perhaps as much for texture as much as anything. I would leave those out. The walnuts have oil which by my understanding can complicate a wine if the oil becomes rancid...maybe substitute walnut extract. Or maybe leave out the walnut and oak it.

[Disclaimer: comments from a newbie]

Cool idea for a recipe.

I think that the celery in the original salad is perhaps as much for texture as much as anything. I would leave those out. The walnuts have oil which by my understanding can complicate a wine if the oil becomes rancid...maybe substitute walnut extract. Or maybe leave out the walnut and oak it.

Interesting, I was wondering about using extacts. Do you add these at fermentation, or add them while bulk aging? I was considering a bit of vanilla to bring a creaminess to the taste.

Latest posts

Back