White stuff on the top of Frascati wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dvizz

Junior
Reaction score
I just bottled from a couple of 6 gal. carboys containing Frascati. I started the process about a year ago when buying 2 6gal. pails of Italian grape juice. Both carboys had air locks and I noticed this white residue substance laying just below the neck of both glass carboys. One was a little wider than the other one. I tried to suck out the white residue but had it basically mingle with the contents as I placed the siphon tube to start drawing the wine to bottles. The Frascati is a little "off" in taste and my wife is kind of hesitant to drink it.
I have read on this forum the issue is oxygen contaminating the wine but I have been making both whites and reds following the same procedures for about 6 years now and have not seen this happen before. I don't add Potassium Met bisulfate to the wine prior to bottling.
Has anyone else experienced this and what might happen to the Frascati.

Another strategy is not to siphon off, but rather to float off the offending substance. Add a like wine to the carboy via a racking cane or similar, and let the bad stuff overflow out of the carboy.

first impulse is to suggest "flower of wine" if so it may continue to grow in bottle especially since K-meta not used. since it is oxygen required might not affect the bottled wine. basically it converts alcohol to water. should see if it is working in about a month.

Another strategy is not to siphon off, but rather to float off the offending substance. Add a like wine to the carboy via a racking cane or similar, and let the bad stuff overflow out of the carboy.

Now that's a good idea. If I have something floating I've been sucking it out with a turkey baster. I do the same if I get a whiff of H2S. Usually a 1/2 to 1" from the neck takes care of it.

Latest posts

Back