wine harvest

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joeswine

joeswine
Reaction score
whats in your works now?

for me its the following,to be bottled ,soon,blueberry/6gal.chad/6gals white zin/3gals/frascati 6gals./melbec 6 gals/sharaz 6 gals/camarae 6gals/ pino noir 12gals/meritage 12gals/peach 5gals, yes theres alot of work to be done,because september is almost here and i intend to make the following/////from cal/voignier,from italy sangiovese,bruenello,amerone and more frascati,//from ny state baco nior////need to get busy,whats in strore for the rest of you for the fall harvest?

6 gal. Cal. Syrah, 6 gal. Old Vine Zin., 6 gal. Tannat Merlot, 6 gal. Cab. Sauv., 3 gal. chocolate Strawberry, 6 gal. Crab Apple Raspberry. I have Peach Ice wine, Orange Choc. Port, and Orange muscat on order.

1 gallon welches grape
smiley4.gif

wade made the orange port,excellent after it sets up for a year,really good after 2///next time remind me and i,ll send you a tasteing mines 4-5 years old now coming into its own.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

3gal Hibiscus; 1galwild grapes; 3gal mulberry andin about 2 or 3 weeks chokecherry

i noticed the term chockcherry,is this a different type of cherry can you give me a point of referance,( is it like a bing cherry thats what I,am use to,see it a lot in conversation ,but don,t really know the flavor.

Cornfield, keep me up to date on the Mulberry as I wanted to make some this year but the people who were going to let me pick their trees clean gave me the wrong month to pick them and they were all gone!
smiley19.gif

Up here we 6 gallons of Chokecherry wine going...which reminds me...we should rack it soon.

Chokecherries are tiny tart cherries that grow in clusters on bushes and trees...

They start our red and ripen to purple black...they don't taste very good...Probably how they got their name...but they make excellent wine.

Some like it sweet, we like ours dry.

redSmall-1.jpg
ripeSmall.jpg

Wade:
this year I added 2cans of frozen white grape concentrate to give the mulberries some body. year before last the batch I made was some what light on body. When it finishes I will let you know how it is.

As of now. 3 gallons of Lilac clearing and bottling in Dec.6 Gallons Of Welches concord with added Tannins. *side note* I took a small sample today to see how its tasting... verey explosive. I think i should have used less tannins... or a fruit fly snuck threw the defenses and cantaminated the batch with vineger culture... wont know for shure till the fermentation stops and it clears up abit.
smiley9.gif
This fall will be 3 gallons doubtfully 6of choke cherry. 6 of crab apple and 6 of apple and by november 6 of pinot noir.

good luck of the fly trap,how did you make the florial wine i made and still have chard/with elderberry flowers,quite nice and distinctive in flavor,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Edited by: joeswine

I got the fruitie basterds undercontrol now. Used a mnt dew bottle cut off the top put it upside down in the bottom part of the bottle with a little juice in the bottem and captured alot of em. Cleaned my room top to bottom and now i only see a straggler flying around from time to time.
<DIV id=ms__id61>
<DIV id=ms__id62>The only way one of them flys could have gotten into the wine was from my primary racking. Im 60% shure its the tannins giving it the PoWeRfUlL flavor. I added the tannins according to the directions on the LD carlson lable . 1/4 tsp per gallon. Right now the yeast tatse is too present to distingish weather itstannins or vineger. All in all I just brewed the rest of my welches to free up room in the freezer and wanted to experiment with tannin additions. Its really no loss if my fears are true.
<DIV id=ms__id68>
<DIV id=ms__id63>As far as the Lilac , heres a link with a run threw of how i made the wine with a bar graph/ spread sheetrecepie I used. My alch content is high on this one. It tastes great so far and will probably be my annual wine. Next year ill be shooting around 13%. Jack keller also has 2 recepies on his site. I derived mine from the 1st one on his page.
<DIV id=ms__id64>
<DIV id=ms__id65>http://www.brew-wineforum.com/shwmessage.aspx?ForumID=11&amp;MessageID=84391
<DIV id=ms__id70>
<DIV id=ms__id71>If you have any more questions feel free to ask. Edited by: Aaronh

Those choke cherrys look perty nice =). I only harvested 12 pounds so far. I dont think ill make the whole 22 so I will more than likly be doing 3 gallons. Will see If i can get some more on my next day off but i think its gonan be too late. What is your target Alch % on your chokcherry wine?
<DIV id=ms__id77>
<DIV id=ms__id78>I am open to any pointers on making this wine
smiley2.gif
.Edited by: Aaronh

I do a S.G. of 1.085 on most fruit wines...even the Chokecherry. They usually ferment pretty dry...

If you put the Chokecherries in a straining bag you might get a stronger flavor than I do with the steamed juice.

Others might chime in with their results.

This is what I've done so far this year... I'm Hooked!!...10 gal. White Merlot, 10 gal. Watermelon White Merlot, 5 gal. Australian Chardonnay, 5 gal. Citrus Ice Sauvignon Blanc, 5 gal. White Cranberry Pinot Gris, 5 gal. Amarone, 6 gal. Vidal Ice Wine, 5 gal. Cabernet Franc/Merlot, 6 gal. Orange Chocolate Port, 5 gal. Seville Orange Sangria, 5 gal. Pacific Quartet, 5 gal. Cellar Craft Gentil, 10 gal. Pinot Noir, and12 galCarmenere from fresh grapes from Chili. I just started a Yamill County Pinot Gris and a Kiwi Melon Pinot Grigio that I'm going to try to make into a sparkling wine. My wife likes my hobby, I stay out of her hair and she gets to drink the rewards!!

Back