Blueberry Wine - Sulfur Smell

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The concern is if it's not actively fermenting, you're losing the protection of the pressure from the CO2 and too much oxygen will now affect the wine. I hate slow ferments because you can get into problems.

At this point, it COULD go into a carboy with airlock. Keep your eye on it for the fermentation to pick and wine coming into the airlock or blowing the airlock off. In that case, you know you still have some protective pressure of CO2 so for a few hours or one day, you could remove the airlock and put a cloth over the neck of the carboy. Keep a close eye on it and get it airlocked when the fermentation settles down.

.48% Tartaric

well, the blueberry is still fermenting at it's slow pace. Today I got an S.G. of 1.0165 at temp 80 degrees. I also did an acid test and it's at .48% tartaric. That's low, right? :gb

It's still in primary. I figure I will rack to a carboy this weekend. Was going to rack tonight but since the hydrometer reading is still dropping I figured why not just let it go.

The ta is a little low but not much. You should rack this now but Id probably stir it up before doing so so you dont leave any good yeast behind and end up with a problem. The racking will give it a little needed 02 and maybe boost the fermentation a little to help it finish.

I am making a blueberry wine (3 gal) from the same stuff... I am struggling with a sulfur smell as well. I read that using copper tubing or wire to stir the wine helps react with the sulfur and helps it to dissipate. I went to Lowe's and bought a bunch of copper tubing and made a stir stick out of it. I stirred with it tonight, trying to splash it to get it oxygenated.
Hopefully it works... I'm on day 4 and S.G. is down to 1.075 from 1.100 to start.

Back