Wine giving me a headache?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Too much tannins? or as Johnd said, may be it was too good that your friends over drank :)

We talking red or white wines? Some folks have a sensitivity to the histamines and / or tannins in red wine, and that could cause headaches. Maybe there's so much around that they're drinking too much!!!
SO any tips on how to reduce that in my wine? Its made from Welch's grape juice.

So how do I reduce it in my wine. Its made from Welch's grape juice?
Have to look and see how much sulphites your putting in after fermentation. I can’t remember but isn’t it 1/2 teaspoon per gallon???

Have to look and see how much sulphites your putting in after fermentation. I can’t remember but isn’t it 1/2 teaspoon per gallon???
I will have to look at my recipe. I dont think I put any in but I could be wrong. Not at my desk right now. I did add 2 crushed campden tables to add in clearing. is that a sulphite?

I will have to look at my recipe. I dont think I put any in but I could be wrong. Not at my desk right now. I did add 2 crushed campden tables to add in clearing. is that a sulphite?

Yes, the active ingredient in Campden tablets is metabisulfite (either Na or K, but that doesn't matter).

You say you added two tablets, but you did not say to what volume you added them. Could be too much or it could be too little.

The question of whether sulfites cause headaches or not is rather contentious. Can your friends eat, say, raisins without getting a headache?

No, the amount you stated is horribly over dosing. For 6 gallons you use 1/4 tsp or 6 campden tablets.

According to Winemaker Magazine, sulfites do not cause headaches. There is not enough sulfites in wine to cause any discomforts concerning headaches....

I'm not a wine chemistry expert so i'll leave that part out. Headaches can be from dehydration and wine (alcohol) can contribute to this situation. Drink Water!! If you really want to hydrate try a product like H2ORS (Google it), this will re hydrate you in a hurry and help tremendously. There is a ton of reading on wine and headaches on the internet.
How to Cure a Wine Headache | Wine Folly

I’m going with this fact as well, gilroyca. Alcohol dries you out. Before going to bed, drink a good dose of water to hydrate yourself. if you’re drinking wine, or anything else, a good rule is to drink 8 ounces of water for every glass of wine, cocktail, beer, etc.

Yes, the active ingredient in Campden tablets is metabisulfite (either Na or K, but that doesn't matter).

You say you added two tablets, but you did not say to what volume you added them. Could be too much or it could be too little.

The question of whether sulfites cause headaches or not is rather contentious. Can your friends eat, say, raisins without getting a headache?
It was a one gallon batch.

Well, that is twice the recommended dose, but not ridiculously high. Two tablets should add ~135 ppm SO2. Limits on commercial wines are 160 ppm, IIRC.

Check this chart from Wine Folly out!

sulfites-in-wine.jpg

SO any tips on how to reduce that in my wine? Its made from Welch's grape juice.
The first tip is to get a vinmetrica SO2 meter and then add only enough metabisulphite to reach a 25ppm target. Do not add campden tablets, instead use powdered potassium metabisulphite and weigh dosage to 0.01 gram accuracy.
Along with that it will help running the pH low on your wine 3.2 or 3.3, such that the meta has a higher percent active SO2.

I use 1/4 tsp of Potassium Metabisulfite in 6 gallons of fruit wine 24 hours before pitching yeast and another 1/4 tsp. after fermentation before back sweetening. Granted we're talking fruit wines but I do add tannins (per Dave's Dragon Blood recipe). None of my friends or myself get headaches from drinking my wine...unless we've drank a little too much 🤣. In fact, I have some friends who claim that store bought wine gives them headaches due to the sulphites but say they never get one from my wine.

Latest posts

Back