wine from Welches?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waterloowino

Junior
Reaction score
As a newbie, I wanted to practice making wine with store bought juices before I invest the time and money of using grapes. \

Does anyone have experience and/or recipes for making wine with Welches concord or white grapes and maybe using some cranberry juice.

thanks

I make wine using both the concord and the white. Both come out very good. Also the white grape peach and white grape raspberry are good too.

My suggestion is make your mix per instructions, then add 2 cans undiluted, then add your sugar to desired level, also since there is no fruit then there is no need to wait to pitch the yeast.

I would recommend one of two things. Either get yourself a 6 gallon equipment kit and a 23L wine kit. Follow the instructions that come with the wine kit to a "T". You will be happy with your results.
Option 2 is buy yourself a 1 gallon equipment kit. This will be cheaper in the beginning. The kit should come with a recipe book with several juice recipes in it. Most 1 gallon equipment kits I have seen will also have enough basic additive ingredients for a couple gallons. The down side to this option is that you will outgrow making 1 gallon batches quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making App

Thanks to both of you. I do have equipment and have just completed my third kit. I wanted to experiment with out the training wheel, so when I make wine with grapes, I will hopefully be able to do it with positive results.

Hi waterloowino, there is some good recipes on here for Welch's concentrates, and there also a good way to break out of the training wheels, another good way to break out of the training wheels is Dragon's Blood. The best thing about the concentrates and dragon's blood is they are early drinkers , so that will allow your kits a chance to age a little. the recipes for both aren't hard to find in the recipe section of the forums.

Yes waterloowino lots of good info on here and good people....im doing a concentrate juice mix now and its soing great rhanks to the help of this site and espacilly dralarms

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Wine Making mobile app

Waterloowino
My apologies, when you said nubie i figured you meant complete nubie. If you have the basics down now then yes check out our recipe page on here.

I've made a few from Welch's. It may not be as "classy" as some, but there's never a shortage of juice andit's really inexpensive. As still a newb myself I'm just not comfortable with putting an expensive kit at risk of mucking up when I can try a few for a pittance in the Wal-Mart freezer.

That being said I've done the Concord, the Niagara, and mixes of the two with amazing results by using the recipes on these forums. I also currently have batches going from Welch's white grape peach and Old orchard Blueberry Pomegranate.

I totally agree with Winenoob666 about the Dragon Blood. It's an affordable ingredient recipe with a simple method that produces an amazing early drinker. Everyone who has had any I've made RAVES about it. I can barely keep this stuff stocked!

Thanks again to everyone. After I started the post, I have gone to the recipe section and found recipes for both the concord and the Niagara. Obviously, one can not be a member of the esteemed group without making Dragon's Blood, so as soon as I get back from vacation, I will be making some. I have DangerDave's recipe.

Unfortunately, there are more good ideas on this platform than I can drink. But I may try.

Obviously, one can not be a member of the esteemed group without making Dragon's Blood, so as soon as I get back from vacation, I will be making some.

Pretty sure making DB isn't a requirement, BUT you WON'T regret it!

Unfortunately, there are more good ideas on this platform than I can drink. But I may try.

Rubbish! Have a little faith in yourself! YOU CAN DO IT! We believe in you! Plus homemade wine makes great gifts for friends and family.

For some weird reason people are always impressed when you say "I make wine", especially if it's tasty! If only people knew how simple it really was.... but I'm not spilling the beans. :p

We make a frozed fruit concentrate wine every year. We've found the trick is to let it age at least a year; it really smooths out and integrates with more time in the bottle.

First off welcome to the forum and winemaking. I have not made wine from Welches but plenty of folks here have. I am thinking probably Johnt would be best at steering you in the right direction.

Dan
I thought you were trying to stay out of the corner this year?

I have made many gallons with Welchs. It is very versatile and there are numerous flavors. Use 4 cans concentrate per gallon and you will be happy with the flavor.

does straight welches wine taste like concord wine made from fresh grapes? Or like normal wine? I ask because I read somewhere to use welches wine for topping up other wines... But I wouldn't want to change the flavour profile too much.

Carolyn

I gave welches my best shot.
4 cans per gallon of concord grape.

I sweetened with 1/4 cup sugar for 1 gallon, but it was still to tart and dry.
My wife liked the flavor but wanted sweeter.
another 1/4 cup and now she thinks it is too sweet.

I dont mind the sweetness, but I can not get past the concord flavor.

Tastes like manischewitz wine to me.

I tossed in some 1/4 of OZ dark american oak chips and going to let it sit for a month.
See if that opens it up at all!
but otherwise
MEH!!!!
:slp

does straight welches wine taste like concord wine made from fresh grapes? Or like normal wine? I ask because I read somewhere to use welches wine for topping up other wines... But I wouldn't want to change the flavour profile too much.

Carolyn

The concord I have had at wineries around the Midwest tastes very similar to what I make from Welchs. I would have no problem using Welchs concord to top up a concord made from grapes. I think they are very similar, obviously not exact, but close enough to top up with.
I always have a stash of Welchs concord around as my wife loves it. I keep it fairly sweet as that is how she likes it. I have been playing around with some variations of it but my go to is the Super Sugar method of jswordy, here on the forum.

Thanks wineforfun... I have never made welch's straight and I would definitely not worry about using it to top off a real concord wine. I have made plenty of that since that's what I have growing here. You did answer my question though in that it tastes the same. My question (not very clear) was more about using it to top off other wines not concord. I'm not sure if it would give that concord flavour to a non concord wine? If so, at what rate? ie would 750ml not make a difference?

As a newbie, I wanted to practice making wine with store bought juices before I invest the time and money of using grapes. \

Does anyone have experience and/or recipes for making wine with Welches concord or white grapes and maybe using some cranberry juice.

thanks

Julie,

I demand a "get out of the corner, free" card for keeping my big, fat mouth shut on this thread!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back