wine from Welches?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you guys use the concentrates, you are talking about the frozen ones in the freezer section, right?

A winery here (strikers premium winery) used to make something called "the Athenian", it was fantastic. Before he shut down (and then tried to kill his kids and killed himself) he gave me the recipe. I've had people that tried mine and swore it was his.

Is this recipe something you would like to share?

I'm with JohnT on not being a fan of Concord. Incidentally I guess it I guess it is the Concord taste more than just Welches that he dislikes. With that said I love Concord blended with something like Niagara (another one I don't like alone).

Concord is a very sought after juice for home winemakers and wineries that don't have access to it.

OK,

I understand and see your point. It is just that I am a "life is too short to drink bad wine" type of fellow.:dg

Honestly... Life is too short to wait only for the best wine... Make it but make some other great stuff while you're waiting so you don't have to break the bank at the liquor store. It seems that all wines have their place for drinking. It's all in what stage of winemaking your at and how big your stash is. I'm also In the position of being able to appreciate the FINE stuff but able to drink anything decent. DB as a matter of fact does it it for me. Wasn't so sure but yup! It was a hit as was tropical daze.

At 60 you want to have a good stash of well aged wine... At 45 you want to be building that stash and making stuff you can enjoy in the meantime.

Cheers! With my DB! And of course we are all entitled to our opinions :) if I was rich and could afford nothing but the best that's what I'd be drinking. Oh and some things are just a matter of taste. Concord: you either like it or don't. Same with licorice, or coffee or seafood. I make mine fresh from my grapes mixed with fredonia and while it's not Amerone it has its place as a decent sipping wine to me. It's not fair to call anything a bad wine it's just about taste.

No bad bad intentions meant here....

ImageUploadedByWine Making1395708464.170142.jpg

17 cans frozen concentrate
45 cans water
Sugar to 1.095
Lavin 71b-1122 yeast
Ferment to dry.Let clear (most of the stuff will drop out)
Add potassium sorbate and kmeta
Backsweeten to taste (my wife wants it at 1.020)
Add fining agent (I use super kleer)Make sure it's degassed
Bottle and age 6 months.It's good at 6 months, better at 1 year, and if it makes it to 18 months it will surprised you.

Since I was asked.

No oak, no tannins. Have fun.

I should mention that I grew up drinking Manischewitz, both dry and sweet.
So I have had my fill of concord!

I have always believed that good wine is based solely on opinion.
And I still have 5 bottles of welshes, which will get drank!

ckvchestnut,

I hear you and agree with most of what you say.

I guess that the difference here is that I started winemaking while I was in my early 20's and have a decent stock pile.

on a separate note, Dan,

That avatar is iconic!

Last edited:
Yes that must be the clincher John... If you have that wonderful stash to drink, who'd want to waste too much time on certain types that you just don't really care for.

Back