Wine Diamonds

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdeere5220

Farmer Member
Reaction score
Now that I've passed my one year anniversary of making wine, quite a few of my first wines that have now aged close to a year are showing some wine diamonds. I understand that this does not affect taste and I can just ignore them, but we would prefer not to have them.

What I have read is that you can intentionally precipitate these tartrate crystals prior to bottling via cold-stabilization. My problem is that sounds like it takes a long time, like 2-3 months, and I hate to tie up a carboy for that long.

Is there any way to accelerate the processes of precipitating these crystals before bottling?

If you have a freezer that you can set at ~25F, you can precipitate them in 2 weeks.

Fred

Just keep in mind that you shouldn't rush wine. I understand not wanting to tie up a carboy but your wine will definitely benefit from proper aging.

Yep, just a few weeks at around 28* will work fine. If you have a spare freezer you can get a thermostat overide control for like $35 and do a few carboys at a time. A fridge would even work set at coldest or just stick them outside in an unheated garage or shed.

Yep, just a few weeks at around 28* will work fine. If you have a spare freezer you can get a thermostat overide control for like $35 and do a few carboys at a time. A fridge would even work set at coldest or just stick them outside in an unheated garage or shed.

That is what i did - i have a chest freezer set up that way - i can several 6 gallons and 6.5 gallons at the same time.

Set it at 32* - 3-4 weeks it was done.

Side note..

I believe that wine diamonds is the same as cream of tarter.

anyone use wine diamonds in beating egg whites?

That is what i did - i have a chest freezer set up that way - i can several 6 gallons and 6.5 gallons at the same time.

Set it at 32* - 3-4 weeks it was done.

Must be nice. I can only fit three 5 gallon better bottles in mine. Five and six gallon carboys are too tall for mine with air locks on them.

Side note..

I believe that wine diamonds is the same as cream of tarter.

anyone use wine diamonds in beating egg whites?

You're right. A.K.A. Potassium Bitartrate. Some people also add this during CS to seed the formation of diamonds.

Fred

That is why if you add cream of tartar after the fact to your wine you give it time to age as they may precipitate out later on, hopefully not in the bottle.

Wher's Tom been with his Patience Patience Patience. I miss that.

Must be nice. I can only fit three 5 gallon better bottles in mine. Five and six gallon carboys are too tall for mine with air locks on them.

Yeah it is nice - really big - i can leave the airlocks on as well. My grandfather gave that to me a few years ago.

Latest posts

Back