Will my wine be okay?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rrs26ja

Reaction score
Hello all, Today was my first wine making experience. I tried to follow Georges video for the wine expert kit. To clean my equipment I used b-brite. I clean everything with a brush, but I did not rinse. I thensanitized the equipment by crushing 14campden tablets into 1/2 gallon of water. I am concerned that I did not rinse the bucket or the equipment after using the b-brite cleaner solution.

Did I ruin this first batch?

Hubby uses b bright and he says it does need rinsing. Did you rinse after the campden tablets? Even if not you are most likely going to be fine.
VPC

He had to look it up - its been a while since he has made any beer. Still think the kit is fine either way since they are pretty forgiving. I would rinse it as well. Just a habit. I really have to think not to rinse the bottles out after I've rinsed them with K-Meta. I would love to know what kit was started as well. I don't have any more kits to start until March but did start a New Years Day Caramel Mead and a Chocolate Cherry Mead last Saturday.
VPC

Welcome to the forum!
smiley32.gif

B-Brite and One-Step are no-rinse cleaners. They work by oxygen action and it is that activity that cleans and kills most of the germs(actually it prevents there growth). Rinsing is not needed. Just be sure to drain so there isn't a lot of the cleaner left. Everything will be fine. One thing to note is that it will leave a bit of a buildup over time of a whitish residue.

Appleman, Thanks for the post. After reading the directions on the b-brite container, it says rinse witj cold water. The reason I didn't was while watching George's video, he didn't say anything about rinising. However, I am not sure what he used as a cleaning agent.

It's amazing how when you first start making wine that every detail looms large but before you know it....it all becomes second nature. You are doing just fine rrs26ja..........and Welcom to the Forum.

Ramona

Thanks Ramona, being the first batch, I am a little nervous. I didn't want to through theprocess of racking to the secondary, degassing, and bottling if the wine was no good.......From the replies to my post it sounds like we should be okay. I love this site, everyone is so helpful.

Hello - I don't know about b-brite - I use Easy Clean b/c it says it is a no rinser - saves some time
Good luck - I would think even if you were supposed to rinse it by the end of the process the taste difference would probably be negligible
Wayne

Even with the no rinse cleaners I do additionally rinse them out with water and and let them air dry. Every now and them I will wipe them out with a sulphited wash close to get the residue that builds up off the sides of my primaries as I am concerned that the build up can fall into the must and harm "my precious" <-(spoken like Golum) yeast.

Ramona hit the nail on the head in regards to your question...it is less important that this wine will be ok than it is that you will be ok......this wine already taught you some things and has advanced your burgeoning wine experience and career...all your future wines have just improved because of this experience and each successive one will build upon it

Back