Clarifying with super kleer

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric336

Junior
Reaction score
When using this , would you suggest back sweetening first or back sweetening after using super kleer?
Also, I used super kleer yesterday and forgot to add two ounces of water as the direction say. Did I just ruin my wine?

I clear a wine first -- backsweetening is typically the last thing I do before bottling.

Your wine is fine. There are a LOT of different methods for using kieselsol & chitosan (parts of Super Kleer). I've read instructions which state to add them together or to add the chitosan 1 minute, 5 minutes, 1 hour, or 24 hours later.

I add the kieselsol during racking, stirring to ensure it's mixed. Then I add the chitosan, 5 to 10 minutes after adding the kieselsol, again stirring to ensure it's mixed.

I clear a wine first -- backsweetening is typically the last thing I do before bottling.

Your wine is fine. There are a LOT of different methods for using kieselsol & chitosan (parts of Super Kleer). I've read instructions which state to add them together or to add the chitosan 1 minute, 5 minutes, 1 hour, or 24 hours later.

I add the kieselsol during racking, stirring to ensure it's mixed. Then I add the chitosan, 5 to 10 minutes after adding the kieselsol, again stirring to ensure it's mixed.
Is it OK that I didn't add an ounce of water as the directions stated?

Would you add the super Kleer after back sweeting. I back sweetened my wine and it became cloudy again. I'm afraid if I'm back sweet and then add the super kleer. It might become cloudy again. I don't want to add the super kleer twice

Would you add the super Kleer after back sweeting. I back sweetened my wine and it became cloudy again. I'm afraid if I'm back sweet and then add the super kleer. It might become cloudy again. I don't want to add the super kleer twice
What did you backsweeten with? When I backsweeten, I use plain 'ole table sugar in clear wine, and I've not had a problem.

All fining agents have side effects on wine, so you don't want to treat it again with K&C. Is this a white wine?

Most grape wines don't have a pectin problem, but I'd consider adding pectic enzyme. Then give it time, a month or two. If it's still not clearing, I'd try bentonite on a white.

What did you backsweeten with? When I backsweeten, I use plain 'ole table sugar in clear wine, and I've not had a problem.

All fining agents have side effects on wine, so you don't want to treat it again with K&C. Is this a white wine?

Most grape wines don't have a pectin problem, but I'd consider adding pectic enzyme. Then give it time, a month or two. If it's still not clearing, I'd try bentonite on a white.
I used regular sugar and the wine conditioner. I ran out of wine conditioner and it wasn't sweet enough. So I added regular sugar. That problem was the problem, not sure. It's a plum wine

I used regular sugar and the wine conditioner. I ran out of wine conditioner and it wasn't sweet enough. So I added regular sugar. That problem was the problem, not sure. It's a plum wine
Conditioner is typically sugar syrup with just enough sorbate to keep the container from fermenting (not enough to protect the wine).

Since it's plum, I definitely suspect pectin haze, so add pectic enzyme and give it a month.

@winemaker81
Iam having the same issue with pear wine . How much pectic enzyme do you suggest?
Pre-fermentation, use the package directions. For mine it's 1/2 tsp per 1 US gallon.

Post-fermentation, pectic enzyme is less effective due to alcohol content, so double the amount. AFAIK, you can't reasonably overdose with pectic enzyme.

Pre-fermentation, use the package directions. For mine it's 1/2 tsp per 1 US gallon.

Post-fermentation, pectic enzyme is less effective due to alcohol content, so double the amount. AFAIK, you can't reasonably overdose with pectic enzyme.
Thanks , will try that In a month or 2 . It has been 3 months since adding clarifier

Thanks , will try that In a month or 2 . It has been 3 months since adding clarifier
do you have sediment from the Super Kleer? If so, add the pectic enzyme now and stir the sediment up. It dropped once, it will drop again, this time with any solids resulting from the pectic enzyme.

When you add plain table sugar....what type of drill attachment do you use to mix the sugar in?

When you add plain table sugar....what type of drill attachment do you use to mix the sugar in?
It's a stainless steel rod with free swinging plastic rods at the end. I haven't examples other styles so I can't compare

EDIT: I found a picture of the one I have:

stirring rod.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back