Wild raspberries and blackberries

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fly boy

Reaction score
We have many raspberry and blackberry bushes growing wild where we live. Since I am new to this I have a couple of questions.

Are there any problems adapting the recipes using wild fruit? Any extra considerations?

I won't be doing anything until next summer, but there is plenty of both berries around so why not enjoy mother nature's work.

How lucky to have wild fruits growing nearby..
If berries seem small and seedy I use a few more pounds of fruit...but just play it by ear and see how many pounds you can pick and freeze till you have enough for a batch....

If it were me I'd make daily rounds collecting and freezing as many as I could.

Flyboy,

My wife and I picked and frozeabout 3 or 4 gallon of Black Raspberries from a farm here in Ohioand I wasn'timpressed with the flavor. The berries were beautiful and large, but just didn't have the sweetness and flavor I remember from the wild plants that grew in the woods around my home in Eastern Kentucky growing up. I'm sure the wild berries growing around your place are delicious.

Jack Keller's site is wonderful. I'm sure you can find a great recipe there.

The only thing further I would add is if the berries are not extremely sweet and flavorful, add a couple of extra pounds per gallon and check your acid levels to stay in range, and don't overdo it on the alcohol level. I would not go above 12%.

If you dont get enough flavor out of it you can always add a can or two of concentrate to the batch to spruce it up.

Latest posts

Back