white wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rrussell

Reaction score
just got my new winemaker magazine. I am interested in making a white wine and they have an article about making white wine in this months issue. It sounds like it is a lot more delicate process. Would like to know if it is all that different or are they more out of it than there is. Thanks in advance. Ron

White wines are more delicate so a cooler slower fermentation is better. More fruit retention is achieved this way.

I was a bit surprised to read the article myself. I don't see any huge differences between reds and whites. Like Wade says, ferment it cooler and slower and choose a different yeast is about all there is to it. That is simplified of course, but I don't see any glaring differences. I actually find it easier because I don't need to decide on skin contact time, cold soaks, extended maceration.... and on and on.

i agree with both a/man and wade,but i would like to add because of the lack of bodywhen starting out with a kit or juice product there is nothing to add to give you the body that reds can achieve with the soaking process,so what you have is what you got and you need to handle the product Little more gentlypaying attention to the delicate balance that is let to you to bring out thought your end of the process,over oxygenation can happen fast,no room for error,very hard tocorrect most problems your left with either white alcohol orpoor tasting product,reds are fore giving,in my op pion in all the aspects of wine making...........................they can be made in a lot more styles and boldness,even thought they all start out equal sort of/////////////////////in my oppion/////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Latest posts

Back