Other White wine too dry

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terrymck

Reaction score
This is my first thread after being a long time lurker. I am working on my first batch of white (Grand Cru Liebfraumilch) and I think I have fermented to a too dry state. I took it off PF after 6 days when SG reached .998 (started 1.082) This was 8 days earlier than instructions as I am trying to follow some of Tim V's tips. At this racking it was degassed and finings put in. We are now at 30 days total and I just racked again as it has been clearing nicely. I put the carboy on our covered porch to cold stabilize (So .Carolina)The sample I tasted seems too dry for a German style wine. Did I go too far with PF or will it be necessary to backsweeten?

Terry

when you say PF are you saying primary fermentation? And by the way, welcome to winemakingtalk. I know a lot of people think that there is a primary fermentation and a secondary fermentation. This is not so, the only time you should have a "secondary fermentation" is when you are putting your wine thru an MLF.

Sorry, don't mean to get on a soapbox. If the wine is tasting too dry for you by all means backsweeten, make sure you add sorbate and k-meta first.

Yes, I meant primary fermentation. I just tasted the sample after refrigeration and it tasted a little better. I can discern the fruitiness now. Let's see what happens with some more time at colder temps.

Terry

Julie, I don't think folks believe in a primary fermentation and a secondary :tz:tz:tz:tzfermentation. It's just semantics:tz

Lol, I know but I just need to make sure everyone knows it is primary vessels and secondary vessels!!!!! I can't help myself!

So this kit doesn't come with an f-pack? Personally, I would give it 3 months in bulk aging, then taste and decide, as it surely won't be drinking its best for at least 6 months from pitching. You could also bottle some dry, then backsweeten the rest and decide which you prefer as it ages in the bottle?

Give it some time to age. That taste will change with time.

Terry, what has not yet been clearly stated is that you have essentially no choice but to go "all the way" in primary (alcoholic) fermentation. There is not a way to go "too far" in this stage -- you pretty much have to ferment to dry, as there is not really a feasible way for a homewinemaker to stop the fermentation. If you desire some residual sugar, you ferment to dry, then add sugar and potassium sorbate (and K-meta).

Terry, you did the right thing, fermenting to dry. I would give the wine a few months to age, and drink it chilled, to see how it tastes.

If after all that you decide to back-sweeten, be sure the wine has received k-meta and sorbate.

Heather

Latest posts

Back