Which Yeast for red wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sp33dymonk3y

Reaction score
I have two different yeasts, I want it to be a dry red wine. The test I have are Lalvin 71B-1122 and red star Cote Des Blanc. Which yeast for a red grape dry wine?:)

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Urg../: last step is to add my yeast.. Someone please comment

I know nothing about 7-1B, but cotes de Blanc would be used for white and fruit wines.

Edit: 7-1B isn't that great a choice either. But if that's all you have...

"71B is a very fast starting strain that produces round, smooth, more aromatic wines that mature quickly. Great for blush and residual sugar white wines. Lots of aroma and an alcohol tolerance of 14%. 59 to 86 degree fermentation range."

Last edited:
Well this is a red grape wine :S also I guess I better ask now I am making a strawberry,raspberry,blackberry, and blueberry wine, all in one wine so the cote des blanc would be good for this one right?

With only the info provided I'd say Lalvin 71B-1122, it's going to eat some malic acid and should go dry.

What kind of alcohol content are you expecting? 71B-1122 is only rated to 14%. So if you have too much sugar, it may stop before the sugar is all gone. What starting sg do you have (or are you expecting)?

Steve

I'm not worried about the SG and ABV, my SG is 1.090 tho whch I always stay in 1.080-1.100 range. Both yeasts can tolerate it. But already put the Lalvin 71b-1122 in(;

Latest posts

Back