When to Oak?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocket man

Reaction score
I have a Reserve Du Chateau 6 Week Wine Kit, California Coastal Cabernet Sauvignon that I got from Amazon. The kit is full juice (no concentrate), comes with corks, shrink caps and labels but it doesn't come with oak. Up until now I've only made whites, fruit wines and island mist kits. This is my first attempt at a red. My question is isn't cabernet sauvignon typically oaked? I was thinking of picking up some French oak from my LHBS and adding it to my kit. When should I do it? Before or after I clear it. For a light oak flavor how much should I add and how long should it be in there?

I agree in that if it were mine, I'd want at least some oak. The final amount will depend upon how much you like oak and the final acidity of the wine. In general, the more acid the wine, the less oak or other tannins. At pH 3.5 or higher, more oak is advised.

You can add oak at any time, but I like to include some oak in the initial fermentation as it helps absorb any vegetal characteristics the must may have. Use oak dust or small cubes initially. These can be racked off after fermentation and more oak added later if desirable. Let your taste and final acidity be the guide.

Fred

i am w Surlees when he mentions oak during ferment..i never did this but the last few yrs i have leaned more into it

as for oak itself...it is all its cracked up to be..and then on the other hand i have made some killer whites w zero oak.....

Just make sure the juice does not already contain liquid oak.

I never even thought of adding oak during fermentation. I'm not a huge oak fan but I wanted to try something different, besides with putting it in myself I can just leave it in for a week or two and just have it lightly oaked. Thank you all for your responses.

Just make sure the juice does not already contain liquid oak.

Do some kits have liquid oak in them? I just read on the sice of the bucket "may contain oak" . It's a generic bucket that is used for all they're wines, so I don't know if they mean oak cubes may be with the kit or liquid oak is in it. Is there any way to tell for sure?

Last edited:
I have a Reserve Du Chateau 6 Week Wine Kit, California Coastal Cabernet Sauvignon that I got from Amazon. The kit is full juice (no concentrate),
Is it this kit?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001ELJK0K/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Here's a quote from that page.
Ingredients
grape juice concentrate, varietal grape juice, liquid invert sugar, tartaric acid, citric acid, tannin,diammonium phosphate,metabisulphite,bentonite, wine yeast,ascorbic acid,potassium sorbate,kieselsol, chitosan. ay contain oak.

Is that what it says on the pail?

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes that is the kit. Here is what it says on the pail. "Varietal and/or generic grape juice, varietal and/or grape juice concentrate. May contain liquid invert sugar. Selected wine yeast, tartaric acid, citric acid, tannin, ammonium phosphate (yeast nutrient). May contain: potassium sorbate, metabisulphite, ascorbic acid, bentonite. Fining agents will be one or more of the following: kieselsol, chitosan (derived from shellfish), isinglass, gelatin. May contain oak.

Just for your records, the Reserve du Chateau (Paklab) six gallon bucket is a reconstituted concentrate, not juice. For the money it is a fine product, I am sure you will enjoy it. That being said, add some oak and taste every two weeks till you like it.

Just for your records, the Reserve du Chateau (Paklab) six gallon bucket is a reconstituted concentrate, not juice. For the money it is a fine product, I am sure you will enjoy it. That being said, add some oak and taste every two weeks till you like it.

Thanks for the info. I'll add the oak and keep trying it like you said.

Do some kits have liquid oak in them? I just read on the sice of the bucket "may contain oak" . It's a generic bucket that is used for all they're wines, so I don't know if they mean oak cubes may be with the kit or liquid oak is in it. Is there any way to tell for sure?

To be sure, contact the manufacturer.

Back