When should I transfer/combine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have combined the two half gallon jugs into one secondary for secondary fermentation. Looks like I missed the window for transferring. I was shooting for 1010, but that mustve been yesterday (4 days after starting), because today, its at 996. Its filled to just abover the shoulder of the jug and still fermenting. Air Lock is attached. I guess in a week or so (?????) I will rack again to another carboy and top up at that time?

I check it at least once a day, sometimes 2-3 times when it gets close, its changes exponentially down so, its hard to time right.

If its still fermenting you should let it go, and then if needed back sweeten it, or you have the option of chemically stopping the fermnation sooner.

:tz:spm:db:b

Last edited:
Doing that would leave residual sugar in your wine wich can cause all kinds of problems, I wouldn't do it...

Really? Even if you add sorbate and sulfites?

If you back sweeting it your left with sugar as well, is that sugar better to have than residual grape sugar?

If you try to stop the yeast from eating before they say they are done eating, it will come back to haunt you.

Is it a big deal if say its done fermenting and its left just sitting there for a bit? Or will that allow for bacteria to come in? Even with the airlock on?

Is it a big deal if say its done fermenting and its left just sitting there for a bit? Or will that allow for bacteria to come in? Even with the airlock on?

What do you mean by "a bit"? It can sit for awhile, once I put my wine into the secondary I usually leave it sit before I take a reading, then I check several more times within the next week. If it is done, I then rack and sulphite.

What's you'r level at? if it's at the shoulder like it should be when fermenting, you risk oxidation since your wine is exposed to to much air...

Its at the neck and still fermenting. Im just trying to plan ahead here. And Julie what I mean by "a bit" is letting it sit for like a few days but I think I figured it out after what you said as far as leaving it and then checking within the next week.

Its at the neck and still fermenting. Im just trying to plan ahead here. And Julie what I mean by "a bit" is letting it sit for like a few days but I think I figured it out after what you said as far as leaving it and then checking within the next week.

A few days to a week under an airlock would be fine, you want degas and add sulfites before too long though.

So degas then add sulfites and then let it sit to clear and rack again and let sit to age for a few months before bottling? Does that sound right?

So degas then add sulfites and then let it sit to clear and rack again and let sit to age for a few months before bottling? Does that sound right?

You got it bro!

If it has some sediment in there now, you can rack before you degas.

Mine is at the shoulder and still fermenting, with an airlock and at 996 or so. Im not topping up until it gets clear, and its essentially done fermenting. When that happens, Ill top up with a like wine. For now, there is no reason to top up from the shoulder since its fermenting a little...its protected.

Im in no hurry. I can SEE the bubbles rising in it still, when they stop, ill start taking readings and looking to rack. After that, it can sit for a month or so and clear.

Latest posts

Back