When should I transfer/combine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agdodge4x4

Reaction score
I am making a batch of Welch's concentrate wine.

I split my 1 gallon batch and put it into two 1 gallon carboys for primary fermentation so that they would not overflow. How long do I wait until I should combine them into 1 and fit the airlock? Teh directions say 5-7 days, but I was wondering if thats right or if there is a SG value I am shooting for or if it just doesnt matter in this case?

You could rack of the lees at around 1.010-1.005 into 2 clean carboys for secondary and combine into the 1 when it's fermented dry (between 1.000 & .990) If the SG doesn't change for 3 days, it's done fermenting and ready for clearing

Last edited:
You could rack of the lees at around 1.010-1.005 into 2 clean carboys for secondary and combine into the 1 when it's fermented dry (between 1.000 & .990) If the SG doesn't change for 3 days, it's done fermenting and ready for clearing

OK.

Why would I rack off the lees into two separate carboys at 1.010-1.005 instead of just going straight to a single carboy and rack again at 1.000?

I ask because in two carboys, they are only filled half way up...lots of airspace.

So you won't blow your airlock off. If you combined both into one carboy for a secondary fermentation - and you filled it all the way - you will have a mess.

Now if you have a large enough carboy - then sure - add it to one.

If you fill the carboy up close to the neck - you might be able to wait a little longer and let the SG get closer to 1.000 - that might keep the airlock from blowing off.

Last edited:
Im not questioning the advice, just trying to understand the reasoning...im wierd like that. :/

If this was a typical fruit juice extraction and it was in a plastic bucket primary, would I wait until 1.000 before transferring into the secondary?

Then why not just leave it be until 1.000 and put it straight to the single secondary? Off flavors?

Im not questioning the advice, just trying to understand the reasoning...im wierd like that. :/

Hey me too - less CO2 protection. Early in the primary - fermentation is releasing a lot of CO2 - protecting the wine. The closer you get to a complete fermentation - the less CO2 is put out. Which lets O2 get exposed to the wine.

That is also why when the fermentation is complete in the secondary - it is important to keep the levels up into the neck of the carboy.

Now that makes sense to me.

I currently have a paper napkin rubber banded around the top of the carboys. When should I put on an airlock?

I put my airlock on at 1.006, it depends how much foam you are getting though.

Yeah - if it is pretty vigorous - you might want to want a bit longer - don't want the airlock to blow off.

OK...so after the SG gets to 1010 or so, I will rack into two clean carboys.

Then at 1.000, I will rack into a single carboy. Because I have exactly 1 gallon before racking anything, if I rack it once to the two carboys and then again to a single carboy for clearing at SG 1.000, then that will be a fair amount below the neck of the carboy. Is this when I will need to 'top up'? If so, what do I top off with if I don't want to use marbles? More juice will only increase alcohol content and restart fermentation.

Yeah - be sure to put an airlock on the 2 carboys.

Yes - once fermentation is complete - you will want to stabilize and top up.

What should I top them up with? Marbles...or a finished wine? If I use a finished wine, and teh SG is at 1000....thats not completely dry. So will the additional alcohol of the wine im topping up with kill my yeast before they can finish eating all the sugar? The SG started at 1095.

Last edited:
You can filll with sanitized marbles to fill the void or you can top off with a like wine. I would wait until fermentation is complete and you have stabilized it before topping off with a like wine.

then i have no choice but to use marbles before because the primary has exactly one gallon, when that is racked, it will be less, and a 1 gallon jug filled with 1 gallon of liquid is at least 2.5" from the top of the jug....lots of air space, even more if its not topped up before it finishes.

Or are you saying it doesnt need to be topped off until it reaches < 1000?

Last edited:
then i have no choice but to use marbles before because the primary has exactly one gallon, when that is racked, it will be less, and a 1 gallon jug filled with 1 gallon of liquid is at least 2.5" from the top of the jug....lots of air space, even more if its not topped up before it finishes.

Or are you saying it doesnt need to be topped off until it reaches < 1000?

If it is not foaming, it should be at least to the neck until it gets to < 1.000, then after that you can degass it, and then bring it up a little higher.

So before it gets to >1.000 you guys use marbles to get it to the base of the neck, so that the extra wine addition does not kill yeast?

I'm doing a 6 gal, and just added a 1.5L bottle to fill it up, and its still fermenting.

Its the sulfites in the commercial wine that will kill some of the yeast.

If you have more than 1-1.5L of room left, then use marbles, after spraying them with k-meta, but even there you are adding some sulfites.

I have combined the two half gallon jugs into one secondary for secondary fermentation. Looks like I missed the window for transferring. I was shooting for 1010, but that mustve been yesterday (4 days after starting), because today, its at 996. Its filled to just abover the shoulder of the jug and still fermenting. Air Lock is attached. I guess in a week or so (?????) I will rack again to another carboy and top up at that time?

Latest posts

Back