when good wines gone bad

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sangiovese

SANGIOVESE, the final prep the bottling should be done on Thursday . Stay tuned for pics.:u

What is the best way to add a taste of peach to your white wines? Like a Pinot Grigio?

sdelli, I can only say what I have done. I have not tried Joe's method and used peaches post-fermentation for added fruit flavor. What I have done, is used natural peach extract with great success. Start with very little---one ounce of extract in six gallons---then work your way up. Give some time between tastings, as the peach flavor will blend with the wine and grow. If you are just looking for a "taste", be very careful not to use too much.

Good luck!

Last edited:
sdelli,

Another of Joe's tricks is to make an extract - in this case you would want a couple of peaches and a fifth of high-proof neutral alcohol (everclear or vodka).. Allow the peach slices to sit in the alcohol for a few weeks, then strain the solids out and add this in the same method as Dave explained; this is a homegrown 'extract'.

excellent

Excellent,. That is one way to make it and it does work ,do not, however using commercial peach extract they do not work. What I would also recommend if you could find some pure peach juice concentrate, and work with that, what I would do is if you have a 6 gallon batch divided in half in the third leave it like it is the other half place in the peach concentrate see what or how it taste, now normally the peach concentrate I am talking about is frozen do not use of peach juice unless you get peach concentrate juice then by all means try that but only try and half of the volume that you have . Some people like to try things in batches of 1 gallon I cannot seem to work with a gallon is not the right balance, then once I have that balance in the half then I know what a need to balance out the other and that is all done in one primary bucket it sounds like a lot, but it is really not, you understand? Thanks the following thread. D

Thanks! Gona try the fresh peaches in everclear.... Me, I drink red wine... But my wife is a peach freak....

Thanks! Gona try the fresh peaches in everclear.... Me, I drink red wine... But my wife is a peach freak....

You can take the excess peach-everclear, after getting the flavor profile where you want it in the wine.. A 2:1 sugar : water ratio, brought to a boil on the stove, makes a simple syrup that you can sweeten the peach-everclear up with, to make a 'cello' of sorts.. Serve over ice or with some carbonated water/7-Up/Sprite

What a great idea! I have made a cirtus zest with lime, lemon, or orange in Everclear, but not from fruits. I'll have to try that one with the peaches. Thanks, everyone for more great ideas!

I'm making my own extracts from now on!

Last edited:
Think outside the box

There is no level to the creativity a winemaker has just his own his or her own limitations, it pays to think outside the box. If you look at all the home brewer's out there and all these exotic wine/ beers , you know for a fact the manufacturers are thinking outside the box . They have to to create sales we have to to be creative in our own structure. Thanks for following the thread..............................:dbE

Final step to our Sangiovese kit: Bottling!

Before we started, we got all the tools out of our toolbox that we would need. We also sanitized all our bottles and had them ready.
What we had ready before we started:
Sanitized Bottles
Funnel
Ferrari Bottle Filler
Long Stirring wand
seals
corks
Packets of Sorbate and K-Met that came with the kit
my bottle sealing tool (don't know what it's called but it holds the seal on top the bottle while I dip it into boiling water), notice we didn't filter, that's because we racked down to clear.

Next, we dumped the 2 packets of ingredients into the carboy and gave it a stir w/ the wand (I didn't take a picture of this, you all know how to just give it a stir.)

I then placed the Ferrari bottling tool on top of an empty bottle, put the larger hose into the carboy and applied suction to the smaller hose to start the syphon. Once the wine starts to flow I place this smaller hose into an empty bottle just so it's out of the way.

What is great about this tool is that once a bottle is full it automatically stops the wine flow so that it doesn't overflow. You will see that it gets to a certain level in the little chamber and then it stops filling. When this happens you put the Ferrari tool into the next bottle and proceed.

When you have all bottles filled, you cork them. Once they are corked you seal them.

Fit the seal over the bottle, I use a tool that holds the seal on top the bottle for me as I dip them into boiling water. I dip it in, give it one twist real quick and pull it out. (Literally takes 2 seconds and it's sealed.)

sanitized bottles.jpg

ingredients n tools.jpg

funnel.jpg

Ferrari Bottle filler.jpg

stirring wand.jpg

seals.jpg

the tool.jpg

filling the bottles.jpg

the ferrari bottle filler.jpg

wine line.jpg

Last post w/ labeled bottle

And last but not least, the finished product. Once done we put our label on. Since this was a Joe/Kate production we decided to make it our Co-Op Wine. :)

Cheers!

seals.jpg

the tool.jpg

tool on the bottle.jpg

dip in boiling water.jpg

labeled (1).jpg

I'm sure you did a tasting during bottling. Tell us about the flavors. Anything surprise you? Anything you would do differently?

End results

TRUTH be told this wine if you put it in a spirit shop or state store will hold it's own,with the best of them.

PROFILE, great body, fruit up front tannins in the middle and dry wine at the finish, great legs ,you could not want more from a ITALIAN WINE, it even has AROMA UP FRONT...........NOW THA'S A PLUS we constructed this wine like a sauce, building structure as we went along,we started march 7nd actually finished last week. Getting our presentation together for this thread, I have always believed we could take a average wine kit and make it good or great, this one proved it out, have a couple of 375's to ship wolf man ?or ?

Last edited:
Labels

:u:u

THIS label comes via Gino pinto's, see their web site click on labels and follow prompts .......good stuff....good people to do business with...I also buy my labels from the toy store, George has a good selection and they are prompt and reliable......:u:u:u:u:u:u

I don't do my own ,just don't want to learn something else,to old for that ,it's just easier and if I don't like the results ,they make correction without a charge.....:ib

Okay Joe, give us your step by step on the Sangeovese.

Joe

I noticed that you added #3 metabisulphite & #4 sorbate at bottling. The WE kits that I have done have them added approx 17 days after pitching the yeast in the stabilising and clearing stage.

Can you explain why you waited until bottling to add them ?

What is the benefit ?

Latest posts

Back