Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

how many have used or tried using ZESTING

• Total voters

joeswine

joeswine
Reaction score
Basic Wine Chemistry

Chaptalization is the process of adding sugar to unfermented grape developed by the French chemist Jean-Antoine-Claude Chaptal, for whom it was named. Contrary to popular belief, this process does not make the wine sweeter but only artificially inflates the alcohol content. Additionally, the sugar in chaptalized wine cannot be tasted.

Potassium Metabisulfite is a common wine or must additive, where it forms sulfur dioxide gas (SO2). This both prevents most wild microorganisms from growing, and it acts as potent antioxidant, protecting both the color, and delicate flavors of wine.

Typical dosage is ¼ tsp potassium metabisulfite, per 6 gallon bucket of must (yielding roughly 75ppm of SO2) prior to fermentation, and ½ tsp per 6 gallon bucket (150 ppm of SO2) at bottling.

Winemaking equipment is sanitized by spraying with a 1% SO2 (2 tsp potassium metabisulfite per L) solution.

Potassium Sorbate is used to inhibit molds, and yeasts in wine. Also known affectionately as “wine stabilizer”, potassium sorbate produces sorbic acid when added to wine. It serves two purposes. When active fermentation has ceased and the wine is racked for the final time after clearing, will continue fermenting any residual sugar into CO2 and alcohol, but when they die no new yeast will be present to cause future fermentation. When a wine is sweetened before bottling, potassium sorbate is used to prevent re fermentation when used in conjunction with potassium metabisulfite. It is primarily used with sweet wines, sparkling wines and some hard cider but may be added to table wines which exhibits difficulty in maintaining clarity after fining.

joeswine

joeswine
Reaction score
PHASE#3......this kit finished outstanding in all aspects and with some aging got even better ... it doesn't always take and expensive kit to make a really good wine,

Attachments

joeswine

joeswine
Reaction score
something ROSE" comes your way.
I love Spanish wine so here is a ROSE" I thought why not lets play with it and it turned out more than I expected ,I skipped a lot of the fermentation process and got to the heart on this one its at 12% abv, with dried cherries and I blended 2 different yeast to create a fine balance of fruit and structure.

Attachments

joeswine

joeswine
Reaction score
someone ask me a question on what was used on the caramel port wine kit ,so i just reposted it.

Attachments

Latest posts