WHATTTTT???? Hows this even possible????

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the info! Your correct on the percentages of the "LHBS".

I purchased a CO2 tank (filled).

Regulator and hose With clamp.

A simple set up, maybe they didn't know????

OK,

so now you just need a little fridge and a cornelius keg and you can then have champagne on tap! You can also have a homebrew beer keg system if that is your thing....

To answer OP question: Barometric pressure rise or great temperature differential between the inside temp (lower) and the outside temp (higher).

The atmospheric pressure outside the water and cap was greater than the pressure inside, which is why it was depressed. When you knocked it loose and unsealed the tube, the water was pushed into the tube to equalize the pressure between the inside of the carboy and the outside.

That is one reason liquid is best used to top up. It keeps the volume of gas in the carboy small.

I've seen this cap depression happen when weather fronts are approaching. That's why, as long as the cap is covered by solution, I don't mess with it. Front passes and all returns to normal.

I have seen all the liquid in a U trap get sucked out by the same phenomenon.

I use the s-trap and fill with a kmeta water mix so if anything gets sucked in it will only help longevity. I only add to the line on the trap. With change in atmospheric pressure or temp in the room I have them the liquid does move to one side or the other depending on outside forces. It happens on both, better bottles & glass but more on the better bottles. Have never had it get sucked in tho. Usually if you have the proper kmeta added and small head space, bottom of neck or into but not too close to the stopper, the gas that comes off from kmeta will actually protect it.

OK,

so now you just need a little fridge and a cornelius keg and you can then have champagne on tap! You can also have a homebrew beer keg system if that is your thing....

Lol,

You must own stock in my LHBS..??

Now that I think about it, I am being led more to that side of the store. At this moment, all I can afford is taking the CO2 out.

I do have me a Debubblin Machine (AllInOne), just aint fast enuf switchin em thar stoppers. lol.

Cheers!!!

Last edited:
To answer OP question: Barometric pressure rise or great temperature differential between the inside temp (lower) and the outside temp (higher).

The atmospheric pressure outside the water and cap was greater than the pressure inside, which is why it was depressed. When you knocked it loose and unsealed the tube, the water was pushed into the tube to equalize the pressure between the inside of the carboy and the outside.

That is one reason liquid is best used to top up. It keeps the volume of gas in the carboy small.

I've seen this cap depression happen when weather fronts are approaching. That's why, as long as the cap is covered by solution, I don't mess with it. Front passes and all returns to normal.

I have seen all the liquid in a U trap get sucked out by the same phenomenon.

Wow!

Weather did go from 60's, to 6 inch snow, to rain, to 70's in about a weeks time. Makes more since now than when it happened.

Many Thanks!

Aftr it happnd, cleaned me britches, took to tha books, not undirstandin dem books , took to dis putter an foun tha anserz. An I hates whin dem Fernominoms happin, spechally whin dey happin to me. lol.

Preciate cha!!

I use the s-trap and fill with a kmeta water mix so if anything gets sucked in it will only help longevity. I only add to the line on the trap. With change in atmospheric pressure or temp in the room I have them the liquid does move to one side or the other depending on outside forces. It happens on both, better bottles & glass but more on the better bottles. Have never had it get sucked in tho. Usually if you have the proper kmeta added and small head space, bottom of neck or into but not too close to the stopper, the gas that comes off from kmeta will actually protect it.

Thanks!

This was probably the only one I didn't put Kmeta in too. lol

I'm going to start using the best Vodka money can buy, so when I can get all the way through the process,

I'l jerk dat suker out lif it in tha air sa cherz an drink it. lol

Preciadit!

Went to the web site, places to buy but no info on what makes these so great. How do they work?

I do not know, my best guess is a diaphragm design.

One way pressure releases, the other direction it seals off.

Justa guessin a rubba dummafloppin thanga-majiggy.

Yeontone too. lol

Went to the web site, places to buy but no info on what makes these so great. How do they work?

the bung has 5 small vent holes that go from top to bottom arranged around the outside, there is also a larger hole that goes down the middle but not all the way through. in the big hole the is a stem with a flap that covers the smaller holes. kind of like an umbrella. when the carboy builds up too much pressure the air can escape out from under the umbrella. when the pressure in the carboy if less and wants to pull air in to equalize things, the umbella is pulled down tigher and nothing gets in. Roger is the guy you want to ask for at vintable

there you go. bobs your uncle

cheers

Thanks! They sound like they would be a good choice for bulk aging in a carboy. I'd miss listening to the bubbles from a lightly fermenting jug however:)

Thanks! They sound like they would be a good choice for bulk aging in a carboy. I'd miss listening to the bubbles from a lightly fermenting jug however:)

I still use a regular airlock for fermentation. After I rack for bulk that's when I put the one way bungs in.

Back