What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Time for spaghetti sauce.

Start with about 100 lbs of tomatoes.
Par-boil & take skin off Cook tomatoes, garlic & onion.(6 gal pail-was full+)
1662139617136.jpeg1662139699938.jpeg
Run thru food mil Add spices and cook again
1662139823382.jpeg1662139884509.jpeg
And 7 hours later you have 38 quarts of sauce
1662140166516.jpeg

Boy, was that BEER good after we were done. :b

Time for spaghetti sauce.

Start with about 100 lbs of tomatoes.
Par-boil & take skin off Cook tomatoes, garlic & onion.(6 gal pail-was full+)
View attachment 92382View attachment 92383
Run thru food mil Add spices and cook again
View attachment 92384View attachment 92385
And 7 hours later you have 38 quarts of sauce
View attachment 92387

Boy, was that BEER good after we were done. :b
Nice work, and nice kitchen!

It is customary here, that one should have the beer/spirits during the canning process to help keep spirits up. However, I am not saying that your way is wrong. 😄

Did some breakfast, did some food shopping, did some lawn. Now I'm inside and doing some food projects. First one started this morning, threw a fire sale pork butt portion (maybe 2.75 lbs) into the crock pot for a long, slow cook for dinner. Just put a fork to it to see how it was doing, it split in half. Turned the crock pot off and summoned the wife to make her potato dish (made some coleslaw earlier).

9-3-22_pork.jpg

Making pizzas tomorrow by request for my daughter and her BF. Made up some dough and it's now growing in the fridge...

9-3-22_dough.jpg

Thinking of making a posole for Monday (might have to go into work, I can put it in the crock pot if I have too), so reconstituted some New Mexican chilies, put through the food mill, now cooking down to make a chili paste of sorts.

9-3-22_chili-sauce.jpg

Last project involves some jalapeno chilies from the backyard garden. Picked a few red ones, threw in a couple of green ones, threw in a couple of numex small ones and am smoking for a few hours on the grill with some cherry wood (all I had). Will finish off in a 170*F oven later this evening.

9-3-22_peppers.jpg

Someone said there is some college football on, just haven't made it to the TV room yet, lol.

Did some breakfast, did some food shopping, did some lawn. Now I'm inside and doing some food projects. First one started this morning, threw a fire sale pork butt portion (maybe 2.75 lbs) into the crock pot for a long, slow cook for dinner. Just put a fork to it to see how it was doing, it split in half. Turned the crock pot off and summoned the wife to make her potato dish (made some coleslaw earlier).

View attachment 92469

Making pizzas tomorrow by request for my daughter and her BF. Made up some dough and it's now growing in the fridge...

View attachment 92470

Thinking of making a posole for Monday (might have to go into work, I can put it in the crock pot if I have too), so reconstituted some New Mexican chilies, put through the food mill, now cooking down to make a chili paste of sorts.

View attachment 92471

Last project involves some jalapeno chilies from the backyard garden. Picked a few red ones, threw in a couple of green ones, threw in a couple of numex small ones and am smoking for a few hours on the grill with some cherry wood (all I had). Will finish off in a 170*F oven later this evening.

View attachment 92472

Someone said there is some college football on, just haven't made it to the TV room yet, lol.
Slow day, eh??? 1662239748945.png

You have the one key ingredient for posole that you had a hard time finding last time? LOL

View attachment 92471

Yea, yea, yea (to a Beetles tune). I searched high and low, Wegmans is usually my best option. I know it's hominy but it has Pozole on the label! And just like the internet, everything is correct and true when it comes to marketing, right?

9-3-22_hominy.jpg

Looks like it will work to me but you need about 3-4 cans!

Yea, yea, yea (to a Beetles tune). I searched high and low, Wegmans is usually my best option. I know it's hominy but it has Pozole on the label! And just like the internet, everything is correct and true when it comes to marketing, right?

View attachment 92475

Finally done. Nice and tender, just a little salty (though the coleslaw was low salt, helped). Yum!

9-3-22_pork-2.jpg

Edit: have 4 cups worth, made last week from chicken parts, I think they call that bone broth (though there was plenty o' chicken fat).

Double edit: I think I need to make this with my smoked jalapenos...

https://www.isabeleats.com/creamy-chipotle-ranch-dressing/

With our son coming today (putting him to work) Mrs WM81 wanted souvlaki again. A few days ago we marinated pork tenderloin in "traditional Syrian shish kebab" seasoning (4 parts allspice, 2 parts salt, 1 part ground black pepper + olive oil). This time we used an obviously traditional Greek recipe -- we could tell because the marinade contains soy sauce! 🤣

Regardless of original or authenticity, it's good. With that we marinated onion and mushroom, and I made tzatziki.

We were discussing grape plans for the fall and my son commented he'd never had Montepulciano. We fixed that problem!

souvlaki.jpg

Last edited:
I'm still here! There are 2 seasons in Alberta, winter and construction. With the wet start I am keeping quite busy with the approaching change of seasons.

I also had visitors over the last week. BUT.. I am still eating well, just not finding the time to post.

IMG_20220903_194618.jpg
A VERY good bison ribeye, tonight. With garden fixin and some extras. Bert tops and coleslaw didn't fit the plate.

Pizza night...outdoor cook, finally. T-storms held off.

Gluten free offering...for my celiac son...

9-4-22_pizza-1.jpg

Margherita pizza for my daughter...

9-4-22_pizza-2.jpg

Pepperoni for her BF...

9-4-22_pizza-3.jpg

Pepperoni for my bride...

9-4-22_pizza-4.jpg

Proving I made the pizza (mushroom/pepperoni) and didn't add sauce until cooked (for Mike)...
Actually put the pan in the KettlePizza as it cooled below 700*F, did a nice 20 minute cook, smells wonderful!

9-4-22_pizza-5.jpg

Still too thick, but the burnt cheese is awesome!

9-4-22_pizza-7.jpg

Yes, I like my sauce. San Marzano from the garden, made the sauce last week. Yum!

Last edited:
Tried something different tonight. I often buy a whole pork loin and cut it up into boneless chops and smaller roasts. No matter how I cook them, they come out on the dry side and need a lot of gravy. I decided to try smoking a small roast. Did it on the WSM with a dry pork rub and pulled it at 144°. I let it rest about 15 minutes and carved it as wafer thin as possible. It turned out really good - nice and moist with a good smoky flavor.
1662335505513.png

Back