What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was a bumper crop of corn this year. We decided to do it all in one big feed. :rolleyes:

Weird garden year overall. Good tomatoes, beans, and onions, but the carrots are smaller than they were in July last year. All the potato tops died. still thinking there are lots underground, but it's never happened before. Neighbors and friends 100's of km away had the same thing.
IMG_20220910_195249.jpg

Excellent time to double your Nat Gas usage! :db LOL

Screen Shot 2022-09-11 at 10.54.19 AM.png

So this happened a couple of days ago. I was told it was in stock in a local warehouse and 5 days away in early June. I picked it up Monday and installed it Tuesday.

Hands down the most delayed gratification item EVER, and likely my most indulgent purchase to date. I decided over 15 years ago I wanted a Bluestar, but I didn't want an upgrade worth half of the value of my home. Especially when it was a short term plan.

I didn't know of capital at the time and Bluestar has a heftier price tag unless you forego BTU. They play the game of higher BTU burners on the higher end models where Capital has 25K BTU burners all around, other than the simmer. The ease of cleaning was the real clincher. The hole thing pulls apart in seconds.

There is a learning curve for sure, though, but it's not what I expected. I was going to share it when I installed it and say I don't know what's for dinner, but I bet it will be burnt! 😄... My 2 hour install took 6 hours, and then I didn't burn a thing. The power is there, but it's controllable. Things cook in half the time.

I did smoke out the house with the wok last night, but that is because the hood fan doesn't extend over it. Might need a deeper one. The tribulations of buying in a pandemic. It was pretty well all that was available at the time.

Anyway! 15 years of wishing and I am one happy cook! A boil test was 25 minutes on the old range top and 9 minutes on this one. Giddy up!
View attachment 92816View attachment 92817View attachment 92818

NICE!

Outdoor kitchen, or fancy bbq counter?

We had this slated for this year, but I don't have it pictured 100%, so it's gonna be a next spring priority.

Mind sharing pics of your set up so I can drool.... and steal ideas? 😋
Coyote Grill with a steel made flat top insert. Fontana Forni PizzaOven. Also have a smoker that I just pull out when needed. It’s nice having the extra counter space and storage (turkey fryer etc in cabinet).4BB58280-624A-4F1E-B790-5F2653E30413.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
So this happened a couple of days ago. I was told it was in stock in a local warehouse and 5 days away in early June. I picked it up Monday and installed it Tuesday.

Hands down the most delayed gratification item EVER, and likely my most indulgent purchase to date. I decided over 15 years ago I wanted a Bluestar, but I didn't want an upgrade worth half of the value of my home. Especially when it was a short term plan.

I didn't know of capital at the time and Bluestar has a heftier price tag unless you forego BTU. They play the game of higher BTU burners on the higher end models where Capital has 25K BTU burners all around, other than the simmer. The ease of cleaning was the real clincher. The hole thing pulls apart in seconds.

There is a learning curve for sure, though, but it's not what I expected. I was going to share it when I installed it and say I don't know what's for dinner, but I bet it will be burnt! 😄... My 2 hour install took 6 hours, and then I didn't burn a thing. The power is there, but it's controllable. Things cook in half the time.

I did smoke out the house with the wok last night, but that is because the hood fan doesn't extend over it. Might need a deeper one. The tribulations of buying in a pandemic. It was pretty well all that was available at the time.

Anyway! 15 years of wishing and I am one happy cook! A boil test was 25 minutes on the old range top and 9 minutes on this one. Giddy up!
View attachment 92816View attachment 92817View attachment 92818
The house we bought has a blue star. When we were going to build I wasn’t going to get one. Now I’m spoiled
Enjoy!

Excellent time to double your Nat Gas usage! :db LOL

View attachment 92822
Thanks for trying to spoil my fun, but I'm on propane. It used to be about 500-750 for the year. Stove, dryer, and hot water (furnace too, but we heat with wood). I think we are up to about $1100 for the year, now. Less than 100$ a month. No complaints, and honestly everything cooks so much faster I wonder if I will even see a difference.

We have had electric range in our house since moving in back in 1999. Finally got pissed off enough at the range to switch to nat gas last year (had the line already behind the range) and love the new gas range but yea, same boat. We have an electric countertop WOLF oven that I can cook lots of stuff in to help offset gas increase somewhat. Furnace is nat gas. Should be an interesting Winter.

Thanks for trying to spoil my fun, but I'm on propane. It used to be about 500-750 for the year. Stove, dryer, and hot water (furnace too, but we heat with wood). I think we are up to about $1100 for the year, now. Less than 100$ a month. No complaints, and honestly everything cooks so much faster I wonder if I will even see a difference.

We have had electric range in our house since moving in back in 1999. Finally got pissed off enough at the range to switch to nat gas last year (had the line already behind the range) and love the new gas range but yea, same boat. We have an electric countertop WOLF oven that I can cook lots of stuff in to help offset gas increase somewhat. Furnace is nat gas. Should be an interesting Winter.
I hear you. The hard part there is all the distribution fees. I imagine it is over $600 a year just to pay for your connection, THEN usage.

Beautiful day around these parts. Currently 64 with really low humidity. Finding out that the two younger kids schedule means they aren't around for dinner on Thursdays or Fridays. Oh darn...bought some fire sale beef ribs for tonight, two prime sirloin steaks for tomorrow night. Fired up the Weber kettle while entertaining the doggie outside. Not too sure where all the ribs went to, but were very rich and yum!

9-15-22_beef-ribs-1.jpg

9-15-22_beef-ribs-2.jpg

Beautiful day, low humidity, hanging in the low 70s. Wifey and I home for dinner alone (except for Izzy the dog), so I decided to be nice and grill up some prime top sirloin steaks. Cooked up some big baked taters and threw together a simple salad. Nice and easy for a laid back Friday evening dinner, yum!

9-16-22_beef-1.jpg

9-16-22_beef-2.jpg

Getting ready to start some braised short ribs using a new recipe. Pretty standard stuff, bottle of Cabernet, beef stock, celery, carrot, onion and garlic. But the kicker is reducing a whole bottle of Ruby Port then pulling the beef to rest and reduced cooking liquids and adding that along with some gelatin to the port reduction. Afterwards rewarming the beef in the wine and port sauce. Sounds good on paper. I rummaged around for a bottle of port and came across this 23 year old bottle, pulled the cork and it's still good so it's going into the sauce (bit too sweet for my drinking tastes)
1999 Port.jpg

Getting ready to start some braised short ribs using a new recipe. Pretty standard stuff, bottle of Cabernet, beef stock, celery, carrot, onion and garlic. But the kicker is reducing a whole bottle of Ruby Port then pulling the beef to rest and reduced cooking liquids and adding that along with some gelatin to the port reduction. Afterwards rewarming the beef in the wine and port sauce. Sounds good on paper. I rummaged around for a bottle of port and came across this 23 year old bottle, pulled the cork and it's still good so it's going into the sauce (bit too sweet for my drinking tastes)
View attachment 93015
Ports are too sweet for my taste as well. But my question is how were they able to call it Port and not fortified wine being it was made in California.

Back