What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 93133
Some like it, manyhate it, liver.
An interesting thing about liver is what they call the longevity factor. There was a lab test done with 3 groups of mice. One fed a basic diet. The second group with the addition of the synthetic vitamins and nutrients in liver. The third group just liver.

In a swim test group A was put in a swim or drown situation and on average lasted 13 minutes before they stopped swimming. Group B lasted 18- 20 minutes. In the liver group one mouse lasted an hour and 40 minutes and the remaining mice were pulled from the water at 2 hours, still swimming, and the test was concluded.

Pretty interesting.

Last edited:
An interesting thing about liver is what they call the longevity factor. There was a lab test done with 3 groups of mice. One fed a basic diet. The second group with the addition of the synthetic vitamins and nutrients in liver. The third group just liver.

In a swim test group A was put in a swim or drown situation and on average lasted 13 minutes before they stopped swimming. Group B lasted 18- 20 minutes. In the liver group one mouse lasted an hour and 40 minutes and the remaining mice were pulled from the water at 2 hours, still swimming, and the test was concluded.

Pretty interesting.
Liver is a super food on a cellular level, as well as other organ meats including heart and kidney. I have never tasted kidney.

Liver is a super food on a cellular level, as well as other organ meats including heart and kidney. I have never tasted kidney.
I grew up eating all of the above. I need to stop by the local Chinese market, as they carry all types of things not found in a typical American grocery.

My wife won't eat any of it, but loves it when I make dressing with ground chicken or duck gizzard. I think the idea may cause consternation, but the taste wins out. :)

I grew up eating all of the above. I need to stop by the local Chinese market, as they carry all types of things not found in a typical American grocery.

My wife won't eat any of it, but loves it when I make dressing with ground chicken or duck gizzard. I think the idea may cause consternation, but the taste wins out. :)
Gizzards are so tender when they are cooked right.

Gizzards are so tender when they are cooked right.
I buy a pound (or so) each of chicken hearts and duck gizzards at US Thanksgiving time and pressure cook 'em. The broth and some of the giblets goes into dressing, while the remainder is snack food. For me, anyway! ;)

Wednesday is wifey in class day, so I try and make something that my youngest son likes (that the girls don't like). Made some chicken fingers for my daughter to appease her. Had a rack of lamb from I think Easter that I froze (fire sale, like $8 lb). Marinated in garlic, EVOO and garlic, maybe some garlic too. Cooked on the Weber kettle with some lump charcoal and a bit of applewood. Served with some taters au gratin with bacon and some swiss chard with bacon. Very nice meal!

9-21-22_lamb-1.jpg

9-21-22_lamb-2.jpg

9-21-22_lamb-3.jpg

edit: Son's critique mentioned the lack of rosemary, which I forgot to add in my haste to get 'er done.

Last edited:
I recently had heart for the first time since I was a kid. There was a definite buzz that you do not get from steak. Even liver. Not rich like liver gets after a point, just a notable 'charge'. I was very surprised.

Where is the pics of the oven?
I'm not sure if I told the story, but when we moved into the house I smoked us out making pizza very shortly after the move in. New wall oven, new stone, a little sloppiness and done. No hood fan over the wall oven to save me, and in one single moment... Banned from all pizza in the house. :rolleyes:

I am getting pretty good after 6-10 cooks, but it's a thing to learn a 700+ degree oven. First time I heated it to 900. Ooops. I went from 20+ minute pizza cooks to 3 minutes. Hard to find the time for a photo op.

It's an Ooni Karu 16 inch oven. Propane, wood, and charcoal. I'm excited to try wood, but i'm just getting predictable results with gas.

I turned one of my first pizzas upside down on insertion. The struggle is real!

Edit: I found a couple pics from one of the first cooks after giving up looking.

pizza oven.jpgpizza.jpg

Last edited:
Wednesday is wifey in class day, so I try and make something that my youngest son likes (that the girls don't like). Made some chicken fingers for my daughter to appease her. Had a rack of lamb from I think Easter that I froze (fire sale, like $8 lb). Marinated in garlic, EVOO and garlic, maybe some garlic too. Cooked on the Weber kettle with some lump charcoal and a bit of applewood. Served with some taters au gratin with bacon and some swiss chard with bacon. Very nice meal!

View attachment 93151

View attachment 93152

View attachment 93153

edit: Son's critique mentioned the lack of rosemary, which I forgot to add in my haste to get 'er done.
Boy that looks good!!!:HB

Latest posts

Back