What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ditto. I like fish raw and cooked (oily fish M-MW, whitefish W), but not in between. The texture is off for me.
I agree, I prefer raw. The trouble is these raw steaks make me drool. They do not smell fishy at all, they are clean and look so delicious. I just wanna take a bite! I don't trust them to be sushi grade not knowing how it has been processed. Otherwise, I'd be all over it.

It's why I shared the last attempt in case anyone is getting curious. Cooking it partially frozen was like eating sashimi. It was still cold. The texture was perfect and you could hardly note any flavor from the searing. Especially after a dip in wasabe/soy. It just gave me the confidence to enjoy it this way.

I enjoyed the other attempts, but this way was GOOOD! Now, that I have gone from one end of the spectrum to the other, I should be able to move on to sharing other foods. 😄 Not too many foods you can play with the doneness and experience suchvariety in the same thing. It has been fun. Thanks @ceeaton for the inspiration.

I am the same. I asked for the tongue and heart with my last bison. You don't know if you like it, if you don't try it. The only thing I can think of that I do not like, rollmops! I only had only and it's the only food I can remember spitting out in decades. Pickled herring wrapped around a pickle... Not for this guy!

I would put sushi at the very top of my favorite foods, and the raw stuff at the top of that list.
Never had bison, but had pickled (beef/venison) heart/tongue for years. People like it as long as you don't tell them what it is before hand. :D

Never had bison, but had pickled (beef/venison) heart/tongue for years. People like it as long as you don't tell them what it is before hand. :D
Funny how that is.

This is good, what is it? Tongue? 🤢🤮

I just have to figure out what to do with it.

Bison and beef taste almost the same. A beef steak is WAY better with all the extra fat, but ground or roasts, you wouldn't know the difference.

Got the smoker going with wings, ribs and country style ribs.
1661605134584.png

Family was over on Friday.
Had ribs, wings/wings with Thai chili sause, herbed baby reds/sour cream & chives, the country style ribs were
cut into "burnt ends", half injected with melted butter & Frank hot sauce, Calico beans,
local sweet corn, several desserts. And nobody starved.
1661605434596.jpeg

Wellllll.. I'm pretty excited. I love trying new foods. Finally took the bison heart out. Only doing half, but its in the oven as I type. Carrots and mushrooms towards the finish.

I decided to braise it, and do it like a brisket. Red wine, broth, onions, celery, garlic, and herbs. I think its going to be good!
IMG_20220827_164153.jpgIMG_20220827_172628.jpgIMG_20220827_172835.jpg

Got the smoker going with wings, ribs and country style ribs.
View attachment 92162

Family was over on Friday.
Had ribs, wings/wings with Thai chili sause, herbed baby reds/sour cream & chives, the country style ribs were
cut into "burnt ends", half injected with melted butter & Frank hot sauce, Calico beans,
local sweet corn, several desserts. And nobody starved.
View attachment 92163
I like nothing better than putting on a good spread and sharing with friends and family. Abundance and indulgence is the ultimate of all celebrations.

If ever I were looking for someone to emulate!

👍👍👍:HB

I grew up eating a lot of things most Americans won't. Organ meat was a common thing, and is still enjoyed.

I love, love, love organ meat particularly liver. Can't eat it any longer. Gout makes that stop. I can still remember the last time I had liver. My wife and I bought an 8 ounce tube of liverwurst from a meat shop in Hermann, MO. I ate the entire thing in one setting, well she probably had an ounce or so of it. I couldn't walk.

Last edited:

Decided to start experimenting more with a gumbo after watching a video yesterday evening:

https://video.search.yahoo.com/sear...=28df82e189d58e87440647b15c3a0477&action=view
Recipe doesn't call for it, but picked up some Gumbo filé at Wegman's (I love that store) and some Andouille smoked sausage that was GF. Wednesday's are all about making something for my Son Chris that none of the "girls" would think of eating (rack of lamb is up next). Got the roux copper color, but not as dark as the video as I was up against time constraints to try and get it ready by 6 pm (started at 3 pm, so undercut the final cook time).

Nice and spicy, jasmine rice is soaking up all the fatty goodness. Don't think this is a real calorie conscious recipe, but heck, you only live one lifetime here on this Earth. Gotta eat good food...yum!

View attachment 92090

View attachment 92091

View attachment 92092
This looked so good! I watched the video and it sounded even better! So I dug some boneless thighs out of the freezer; picked up some Andouille sausage and gave it a shot. It came out great - a bit on the spicy side even without the jalapeno, but nevertheless very good.
1661815661549.png

We ship all the bland/mild ones out of State! LOL

I usually buy hot or extra hot. You did peel them right?

If you insist. Yesterday was the Hatch roast at Wegman's. I picked up a few and did some burgers last night. Topped w/ guac, a hatch (they were labeled as medium but had no heat at all, sadly) and some pico.

View attachment 92249

Back